Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

You obviously don’t know the answer then.

2 Likes

You haven’t answered this, How are they separate bulletins?

How does Sandra present a Sydney and Brisbane bulletin at the same time? How does Jennifer present a Melbourne and Adelaide bulletin at the same time?

Clearly these bulletin are “merged local bulletins” with maybe some pre-recorded local elements.

2 Likes

Who says it’s all done live?.. let’s think about how Nine are doing the regional bulletins.

Don’t think so conventional all the time. No doubt there would the opportunity for live inserts, but I could see a local bulletin with pre recorded intros to stories done easily? And then the windowS for live content for breaking news.

Lexington doesn’t even have to come on here and discuss this all with you, I think sometimes we need to be open to peoples information and thoughts they provide and then we go off and digest it our own way. I don’t think saying “you don’t know, why didn’t you answer” by right they don’t HAVE to tell you anything. Lol

Let’s just discuss rather than berate and say the same questions 10 times over.

And I’m not just saying this to one person it’s an overall statement

5 Likes

Agreed, and this will just solitfy it now for sure. As much as I have loved Ten News over the year, it had something special in which no other network had (and still doesn’t, except ABC which produce fantastic news bulletins and journalists) that made it more professional and more inviting, then Seven and Nine.

No one is. But if it was prerecorded bulletin, that would be another conversation in itself. A prerecorded bulletins being broadcast in Brisbane and Adelaide would be another poor decision.

Correct. But also doesn’t have to defend Ten and their decisions over and over. Let’s see what they do. And how bad|Good it is.

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point. David and I have clearly asked a valid question and it keeps getting ignored with the same pro 10 news statements being put forward.

3 Likes

I think Ten deliver the best news product of the commercial networks - no where near as tabloid and sensationalist as Nine and particularly Seven are.

Indeed in Queensland where Nine and Seven are significantly worse in that regard, I think Ten will still have an audience of people who just don’t want that style of news product, even if the broadcast is coming from Sydney.

2 Likes

I think 10 do extremely well with what limited resources they have, but I wouldn’t even put them in the same league as 9 and 7. Both 7 and 9 are far more superior than 10.

It’s a pity, as I had high hopes for 10 news pre covid and under CBS management.

1 Like

Ever thought that it might be because they can’t say then? We forget that people who provide this information may work or have close people in these jobs. It’s peoples income and livelihoods.

It might put them in a position that could uncover the source? I think we need to remember this, it’s good we are able to have people come on here who are on the inside or have people there. It’s of great benefit to us for our discussion.
I understand it’s frustrating when you don’t get the answers that you want, but I think sometimes we all get a bit carried away…

From first hand experience, Ten don’t treat people who share company information lightly. They treat it pretty seriously.

And defending something you’re passionate about isn’t a bad thing IMO

With the whole topic of how it’s going to be done, I think it’s a waiting game to be honest for us.

4 Likes

In other words - the reformatted bulletins will at times, likely include content that is relevant to Sydney but irrelevant to Brisbane and visa versa.

Geez, don’t give them any ideas. I could actually imagine something like that happening in the future.

You’re underestimating the intelligence of the general public if you think they won’t eventually notice the disappearance of local backdrops, locally based presenters and more far importantly, the fact these relaunched bulletins will likely contain fewer local stories/live crosses for major events than there were in the past.

Regardless of whether this perception is right or wrong, I think there’s long been one amongst the broader general viewing public that 10 News First is a bit weaker than Seven, Nine and the ABC. I have been hoping the network would eventually try and fix these, but unfortunately with the impending cutbacks it seems this isn’t likely to happen anytime soon.

I’d imagine this would be the case for most companies (media and otherwise).

3 Likes

Prime7, WIN, NBN and Seven already centrally produce their local news, doesn’t change much, just allows the costs of the infrastructure and staff to be spread across more markets. It’s not ideal but your average viewer won’t notice a difference and will more than likely still think the news is coming from their city, I’ve had many arguments whilst travelling, trying to explain to people that the anchors are in Newcastle, Canberra, Sunshine Coast etc.

2 Likes

Not ViacomCBS, it’s the economic downturn caused by Covid 19.

1 Like

What question are you asking? I’m not outing my sources or inside information for you or anyone. Get a grip on reality.

And you completely missed the point MBB was making. Pre recorded INTROS and LIVE WINDOWS into the bulletin. One control room can do two bulletins at a time - 9 manages 6. Get it?

And it’s funny how my largely absent posting on the centralisation has gone unnoticed - I never once defended the decision, while I processed all of this, then as soon as I make one comment against the forum line all the attacks start up again.

You either want industry insight, or you don’t. But I’m not being negative all the time just to fit in.

9 Likes

That’s not what I’m told. When it’s relevant to Sydney, Brisbane will have a local story. Same for Melbourne/Adelaide. Now, there will be situations - as there are now, with all news bulletins - where the local story will be of national interest and run everywhere. The latest corona virus hotspots? The Ruby Princess? A pub celebrating 100 years of pouring ale? Etc.

I honestly couldn’t. They would’ve gone there now if they’d have given up entirely.

They won’t though. This is what I’m shouting into an echo chamber about… no on the road crews have been shown the door. They’ve all got to work for their pay, so they’ll be telling stories.

2 Likes

Aren’t they simply doing opt-out windows the same way NBN does to individual markets? It’s not difficult these days. Just got to get the timing right.

Brisbane will get a relevant story to them when Sydney gets one for theirs.

Surely that’s not too hard to comprehend.

6 Likes

As far as how a single newsreader can read several bulletins at the same time.

exhibit A: WIN News

1 Like

Well said mate :+1:

1 Like

Completely agree. The day after the decision was made public, Rebecca Morse was in tears on her radio show with people calling up with how disappointed they were with the decision, and Cosi her co-host even went as far to ask the audience if they wanted to support SA jobs going to Vic, and to vote with their remotes.

Yes, this is a minuscule snapshot of Ten’s audience, but people do notice, and care, and will even more so when the content changes, particularly in Adelaide when there is a local competitor directly up against them at 5pm.

14 Likes

I wouldn’t be wasting time speculating on the downfall of the non locally presented bulletins until we see the ratings for the first week at least.

I honestly don’t think we’ll see much of a change, 10% at the most if that. The numbers are already so low, particularly in Brisbane and Adelaide that it’s unlikely they’re going to drop any further.

3 Likes