Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

It would be great if we could get some actual numbers on this. What is the time slot actually getting at the moment?

250k?

It made the top 20 on Friday night. That will give you an indication of the figures.

1 Like

Not sure this week because of the the messed up coding on Wednesday that merged the 90 minutes in the official ratings. By 250k would be about correct.

On Friday the 6pm program made the 5-city top 20 with 236,000.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Spoke to a few people last night (just in general). Their thoughts on 10 News was that the news service is very drawn and padded out. Somebody mention they couldn’t get over the fact that a “Dancing With The Stars“ story was placed in the main bulletin this week, did this really happen?

Obviously good for them as the percentage decrease from the first hour to the 6pm half hour is significantly lower than it was previously. They’re retaining good audience flow through to 6:30pm confirming they strategy they were trying to do in 2011 before the idiots ruined the network. Took them 9 years to realize.

4 Likes

10 News Oscar coverage used vision from ABC US.

Seven and Nine:

3 Likes

10 News First is presented as LIVE: 10 News First on my TV’s TV Guide.

3 Likes

Has been in Melbourne at least for a while.

1 Like

Not sure I’ve seen a live cross quite like this before, usually they’re accompanied by a reporter or pre-recorded etc.

1 Like

Looks like it must be a new take on sponsored content. Not totally unprecedented - the old Late News CommSec Finance crosses come to mind (albeit possibly pre-recorded) and, in Melbourne at least, they also use the person in the sponsored traffic chopper to report on breaking news upon occasion, if the chopper has the vision.

Hardly consider this sponsored content.

They’ve done those sort of crosses before, with ministers etc.

Do you mean public officials? Eg; BOM, emergency services, police etc and, yes, Ministers perhaps on occasion.

The RACQ cross may be paid placement - it may not - I don’t know - either way the RACQ gets its brand out there… 10 gets the benefit of money or free content. It is clearly sponsored - I don’t have a problem with that but it can’t be compared to Ministers and crosses to official sources for government information.

But it’s not sponsored, they don’t need 90 second crosses to ‘get their brand out there.’

Besides, the RACQ is an advocacy group for motorists - unlike any other insurance company or roadside assistance body.

Really? I’d think doing live news crosses (the content is hardly advocacy) would be more about building brand trust so that people consider buying their travel, insurance products etc. I highly doubt the RACQ would be doing it as a public service…

Perhaps a better comparison would be the Australian Traffic Network who make profit packaging government information and selling it to tv/radio.

Again, I don’t have any problem with the RACQ cross - 10 are a commercial network - but I don’t think its great to pretend its something its not.

2 Likes

You’re the only one pretending it’s something when it’s not.

Considering they have a statewide fleet of vehicles and an operations centre to manage them… I’d say there in the perfect position to talk about rapidly evolving road changes.

Not sure where there was any mention of insurance sales or other crap.

2 Likes

RACQ is the organisation that provides the best info in Queensland when there are flooded roads. Nothing to do with sponsored content at all. All media use their intelligence about road closures. Very common to get a list of road closures on radio from RACQ including ABC.

2 Likes

Multi-purpose mic flag?

23 Likes

Happened with ABC as well. They did that last year.

1 Like

The flags are stickers, they aren’t printed on unfortunately.

Makes them easily changeable and not having to order new ones for each program all the time. The cost of printed mic flags can actually get expensive.

3 Likes

Yes, there was an instant rise on day 1 from the diabolical Celebrity Name Game. But two months in and those 6pm ratings appear to have stagnated. The bulletin can’t continue to rate a third or a quarter of Seven and Nine News.

1 Like