Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Edited Studio 10 logo?

8 Likes

When you posted this, I imagined Tim yelling down at Sandra back at the desk, “Look at me, look at me.” Turns out I wasn’t too far off.

7 Likes

I imagined him doing his aerobics routine on the gantry and backflipping over the edge.

2 Likes

I certainly don’t want to take anything away from Sandra Sully marking three decades at Network Ten because it’s a milestone quite rightly to be celebrated (including on-air), but geez there’s an awful lot of hype out there for the main presenter of Sydney’s #4 news service.

To put things into perspective, did Nine News (outside of Sydney, of course) give much mention to Peter Overton being recognised in the Australia Day honours on Sunday night? Because the last I checked, he often gets 150%+ more viewers than Sandra does!

4 Likes

Just because 9 didn’t make the effort, doesn’t mean Ten shouldn’t.

19 Likes

But hang on, don’t you want a TV special for when Nine move down the road to a new building? Let’s just let Sandra have her moment.
30 years with the same network is something incredible, especially in this industry and even more so on Channel 10!

11 Likes

The amount of viewers isn’t always everything, it is about the level of experience and portfolio of events they have covered over those three decades. 30 years (especially at 10) is a very impressive milestone when the industry is especially cutthroat most times and is deserving of a celebration.

4 Likes

I think it’s more a miracle the she has survived all of the culls, changes in ownership, bankruptcies and newsroom upheavals over those thirty years. There were mass sackings taking place when she arrived in 1990 and she ended up outlasting talent that had been loyal to the network for decades who had become part of the furniture at Ten. That’s quite an achievement.

19 Likes

Fair point, but a celebration of an entire station moving to a new building after 63/64 years is a bit different to having special idents and nationally shown reports to celebrate one presenter though!

Outside of Sydney I personally think it would’ve been fine to have a 30 Second RVO for Sandra Sully’s 30 Years at Network Ten during the local bulletins, but the 3-4 minute tribute package?!

Sandra shits all over Peter in experience terms in my opinion.

14 Likes

Peter is fairly wooden too, I don’t get the huge praise for him.

11 Likes

Tim looking very plastic there.

1 Like

She hosted a national bulletin for 15+ years and is arguably the most recognised newsreader in the country.

20 Likes

Glad she got a few minutes package on the news tonight in Sydney AND Melbourne. Deserving so too.

It would be fair to say that Sandra Sully has been at Ten for longer than Peter Overton has been at Nine…if only by about a year or so with Pete joining Nine in 1991 (possibly September that year, but I’d have to check on that).

Not sure how the overall broadcasting careers of both Sandra & Pete stack up, but I doubt there’s very much separating the two.

Perhaps you need to be a Sydneysider to truly understand what makes the market tick. But in any case it seems unlikely that Pete would’ve lasted more than a decade on-air in a highly competitive market, let alone praised for his work by Brian Henderson (let me guess - another presenter people outside of NSW have never quite understood the appeal in?) if he wasn’t any good.

Again, I can’t stress enough that it’s good that Ten are acknowledging Sandra Sully’s lengthy career at the network but I feel that it’s been overhyped somewhat compared to the more modest approach (which is probably too low key at times - Nine really should’ve done something to Celebrate 10 Years of Peter Overton on their Sydney 6pm bulletin last year IMO) that Nine takes when it comes to handling milestones for the Sydney newsreader who actually brings in the viewers.

In any case, surely most of us can agree that Sandra, Pete and infact Juanita are vastly superior broadcasters to the current lead presenter of Seven News Sydney?!

1 Like

This would honestly be his worst nightmare :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

edit: beaten

A cleaner would have more personality than Fergo, but that’s stating the obvious.

Sandra 30 years graphic:

15 Likes

A clever adaption of the Studio 10 logo

6 Likes

Did anyone happen to record the Sydney bulletin in full, or the 6pm portion (which I don’t get because of WIN News)?

1 Like

I would have thought that these numerical digit balls are like Lotto balls!

4 Likes