Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Agree. And why the f**k is there a star on the background? That and the sprocket film holes look like something straight out of a Greater Union Cinema. Awful.

14 Likes

Just never cut to a wide shot and that set looks fine

1 Like

Perhaps The Project could ask that question in a Major Investigation for the program?

Sorry, couldn’t resist…

Either that or a Late 1990s/Early 2000s video shop! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think you’ll find that it’s a compass / sun dial. Which kinda fits the bill when you think about it.

Perth look amazing compared to Brisbane or Melbourne IMO and I don’t mind the blue, Adelaide is the next best of that particular style.

Re why the other sets haven’t been implemented yet, these things take time and would be part of budget planning for each state so while it would’ve been nice to see them rolled out shortly after Sydney, 10 have been investing in upgrading their necessary equipment and infrastructure first.

7 Brisbane and Perth have far worse sets than anything 10 currently has, those are in major need of an update.

6 Likes

Surely each station has a budget. And money would be budgeted for each year for future set upgrades. It’s not like a set upgrade every few years is something that takes stations by surprise. It’s been happening for decades. I would have thought money is allocated every year and pooled for larger expenses like set upgrades every few years

Sure, but set upgrades are not a necessity and as @lexington explained 10 have had other more important upgrades for various equipment which was neglected and ignored for years under previous bad management and cost cuttings.

It will happen, but just not as quickly as some here (including myself) would like.

4 Likes

Totally agree. Much prefer behind the scenes work over new sets. Roll them out when each of the states are ready.

2 Likes

New sets are not a line item in the budget. Never have, never will be. Management decide that it’s time for a refresh (either to match a new look, a new style etc) and allocate some funds out of the news contingency budget - or they plan to have it as a line item next year.

In 10’s case, as I have said (and as has been referred to by @killy06) there are far more important - behind the scenes upgrades and replacements needed before they start to think about the sets (that aren’t in a state of disrepair or broken.)

As for the reasoning behind “why cant they just copy/paste Sydney’s set” - because that was designed for - and paid by - multiple shows. The other states only need a news set, which means no real justification for a massive video wall, a logo that’s changeable on the desk, um - a couch etc…

10 Likes

That has been happening for the past 18 months. Why is it taking so long?

At the rate things are going right now, ABC News will probably have up to date sets and HD bulletins in all markets before 10 News First does!

2 Likes

Many reasons, but suffice to say the only people who desperately care about the new sets are the folks here on Mediaspy. There is no rush for them.

4 Likes

18 months is probably not too long.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/channel-10s-the-project-set-for-a-reshuffle/news-story/450b8a30a62fbbd156767c3cfa50b8f5

Comments at the bottom of this article about continuing with 6pm news seem pretty positive.

All I see are comments against The Project. Nobody likes Waleed or Lisa.

2 Likes

and one saying it should be on the abc

Any highlights you can post. Not paying for News Corpse

1 Like

Perhaps I should have been more specific - the quotes from Beverley McGarvey at the bottom of the article seem pretty positive.

From Herald Sun article:

And Celebrity Name Game appears doomed with Ten happy with the ratings of its expanded 90-minute nightly news bulletin.

Celebrity Name Game’s days appear numbered. Ten says it hasn’t made a firm decision but quiz shows aren’t working at 6pm. Pointless also flopped.

“It has been very challenging … we haven’t seen the (ratings) growth we want to see,” McGarvey said.

“We feel like there is a real appetite for news at the moment. We did it (extended bulletin) as a trial and it is going really well.

“If this is something we can make work for our audience then of course we would consider it for the long term.”

3 Likes

So this is the vague “confirmation” that news is staying in the 6pm slot.