Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Last time I checked, she is still with 10 News First, unless something’s changed…

She’s never been exclusive, she makes weekly appearances on one Fox show and also does sideline work for Triple M.

She left Fox Sports News last year which is a different arm of the organisation. She’s signed as a reporter for 10.

3 Likes

And she’s introduced on that Fox League show (The Professor’s Late Hit) as “Emma Lawrence from 10 News First”

There’s probably a 99% chance that I am wrong, but I’m wondering if the reason Narelda is in Sydney on Studio 10 all week could possibly be that she is doing Perth News from there while the new set is built in Perth. Probably wrong, just curious having your lead anchor in Sydney all week (and yes, I know they have done it before, but that was in summer)

@lexington have you heard anything?

3 Likes

Lol… Perth will probably be the last city to receive a new set. They have the newest one (minus Sydney).
Melbourne should be the next city to receive it given that their control room is used for Adelaide and Perth.

1 Like

I agree… Just thought it was curious. I said i was probably 99% wrong. Melbourne should be next, but where can they relocate to while it is happening?

1 Like

You are right that if Perth had to relocate during the construction, it would probably be to Sydney given the timezone difference would work in their favour.

I’m assuming that Melbourne has multiple control rooms so they’d probably come out of the old set (or a temporary setup) while the first control room is upgraded - BUT this would affect Adelaide.

Adelaide’s case would be interesting, given that they rely on a control room in Melbourne. So if that control room was being upgraded, they can’t use the alternative one given the Melbourne bulletin would be using it. So there might be a case where they’d have to do a semi-national bulletin at some point, or maybe Sydney has another control room they can use?
(I’m only guessing and going off what @lexington has told us, and how the upgrade process happened at Nine News - how Brisbane came out of Sydney for one weekend)

I have very little details on all this so please correct me wherever I am wrong.

Don’t Melbourne only have 2 studios, The News & The Project? Another thought that just came to me…if Perth was done first, Melbourne could come from Perth potentially? ABC Have done it before…

2 Likes

They could, yes, but the Perth bulletin is controlled from Melbourne on weekdays.
From what I know, Melbourne has two control rooms for news: One for Melbourne and one used for Adelaide and Perth.

So if Melbourne was upgrading either of the control rooms, there would only be one available control room to use between Adelaide and Melbourne (because both bulletins would be running at the same time), which causes a conflict. So unless Sydney has an additional control room that can be used for either Adelaide or Melbourne, there may have to be a combined Adelaide/Melbourne bulletin during the upgrade process.

I hope this makes sense :stuck_out_tongue:

** And as you mentioned, they’d have a separate studio for The Project. But I don’t know if the control room used for The Project can also be used for the news.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Its all just guess work on both of our parts. And there is a 99.9999% chance that I’ll turn on TNF Tonight and see Chiara anchoring from the Perth Studio. Im pretty good at putting 2+2 together and getting 5 :joy:

1 Like

@Nicholas, @Travis

Only the sets are getting upgraded, not the control rooms. I’m pretty sure Control 1 is Melbourne news, 2 is Project and 3 is Adelaide then Perth. (90 minute break between the two during winter, 150 in summer.)

As I understand it, Adelaide will be next with the new set then probably Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

11 Likes

Thanks for the info.

4 Likes

Interesting!
So if they are only upgrading sets at this point, no HD for a while then?

That’s another budget with a longer timeframe as I understand it… but it’s still on the cards.

3 Likes

Is it possible that when the control rooms eventually are upgraded, Melbourne news & The Project could temporarily share one? Or does The Project need one for longer than around half an hour before airtime for interview rehearsals and the like?

Also quite interesting to know that the chances of Sydney beating Melbourne to become the first market in Australia with some form of HD-produced local news across all networks (ABC, Seven, Nine & Ten) have increased! :wink:

1 Like

The Project is in pre-production from around 4.30pm each day… so it wouldn’t work. As I understand it most of the equipment at 10 is ready for HD / is already HD … it’s more behind the scenes than behind the lens that needs the work.

2 Likes

Will be fascinated to see what they create for Adelaide given the size of the studio space.

A continuation of more cleverly-placed set pieces and camera angles is probably on the cards. The studio doesn’t look small at all on screen, they do a great job.

4 Likes

I’m going to guess that they’ll leave the majority of the structure as it is, however they’ll replace the 3-“fake screen” setup with one long video wall and a replica of the Sydney desk (but smaller)

1 Like

@lexington Random question. If the current studio cameras are not HD, are they 1024x576 and upscaled?

Ooooh! :yum: Do tell?!?

Absolutely. Keen to see how much of the Sydney set design they can work into the small space for Adelaide (or at least make it look like it on camera) and whether they’ll keep a secondary presenting area (for live crosses and/or the 5:30 pm headline recap).

1 Like