Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I’m hoping that the entire brand is now called Ten News First. I think that’s a really fresh, distinctive title that would pop in the marketplace over multiple platforms.

But it could be a breakfast bulletin - we’ll soon (?) find out.

Are we reading into this too much? Could “Ten News First” simply be for on-air story branding like “First on Nine News” and “Seven News First”?

Found “CBS News First Look”, they’re quite old but they’re branded previews of what’s coming up in the evening bulletin. Could “Ten News First” be a replacement for Ten’s online Newsbytes?

1 Like

The only problem with “Ten News First” is when they are not first. You diminish the brand every time viewers doubt you. I don’t think it will be the name for that reason.

3 Likes

It may not reference start time. It could easily mean “first to report this story”. It could also be a rolling channel?

Way off the deep end, but some US examples of “first” branding. Both are CBS affiliates that happen to share the channel 27 allotment.

WKYT in Lexington, Kentucky. Used 27 NewsFirst as its newscast branding for decades before switching to WKYT News a few years ago.

WKBN in Youngstown, Ohio. Still uses 27 FirstNews branding today.

2 Likes

That you have to look to such way out examples indicates it’s not really a great idea, imo.

2 Likes

Ten News First actually sounds like a good name for an Alerts app/service.

5 Likes

If Ten is tactical and specific, it can work. A morning program. An app. A special projects unit. Otherwise, it takes a special breeding ground to make “First” into a kitchen table name.

2 Likes

TEN News First. 6.30am-8.30am. 8x 15 minute bulletins, like the pre-2011 days when it was 6-7am with four by fifteen minute bulletins.

7 Likes

Are you guessing or telling us??

3 Likes

Interesting. But it HAS to be watchable and inviting and entertaining. It cannot be yesterday’s rehashed package after another read in a monotone like the old 6am boring cast.

Edit: You’re taking the piss. As if they would start at 6:30!! Like, LAST, not first. If it really was happening, they would start at 530 or 6, without question. Sounds like they have the journalists in charge again, not the business people.

Weren’t you the one posting obscure local US news clips the other day and saying that’s what Ten should do?

6 Likes

They’ve got to start somewhere and simply having a bulletin on air in the morning before the competitors to claim first is ridiculous. I don’t think any earlier than 6:30am to start with is needed and can be extended once it’s bed in.

I believe the brand positioner will be first because that’s associated with the Ten News name, not necessarily by virtue of being first with the news but first on air at 5pm currently (for an evening bulletin) which they will likely try to retain in some form and expand on that as a point of difference.

I do think that they’ll try to switch it around though as an overall brand, first with the news (more resources, less fluff tell me how it is type thing) rather than trying to get the jump on the others with start times etc which was really their aim all of those years ago by moving to 5pm.

Interesting times ahead.

hehe you’re messing with us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No

I agree with everyone who’s saying that if Ten wants to re-enter the breakfast market, they should take the slow burn approach by introducing an Early News bulletin and gradually evolving it over a few years.

But just on a couple of other things…

Words I would probably use to describe Sunrise & Today include toxic and unwatchable, not inviting and entertaining.

Realistically this won’t happen but perhaps the best promo idea one can get for a Network Ten breakfast program would be to remind the Australian public (through use of news article snippets) of how Sunrise & Today have recently let down their viewers by disrespecting various laws that broadcasters have to follow: Eg, Sunrise indigenous children segment, Today ANZAC Day competition scandal.

If you ask me, those two words would work if promoting the news services of Seven, Nine or even the ABC but Ten? I’m sorry, but that’s a no from me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ten News NOW

2 Likes

My sources can confirm this.

Confirm what?

Ten News Now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: