Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Probably a bit late to the party on this one but when did Ten start airing 12 & 1pm updates? If I recall correctly they didn’t start airing updates until 2pm last year?

1 Like

ever since the 11am news was dropped. and before that when the 11am news wasn’t there.

3 Likes

Really? Gosh I must of always missed them… I’ve only noticed it here in Brisbane.

1 Like

Brissy’s definitely been doing them this whole time :wink:

1 Like

Yeah their online updates have been all over the place lately, they desperately need some direction with a head of socials for news as well as state based reporters/journalists controlling the local pages rather than it coming from Sydney.

Not to mention that the Queensland stories uploaded online to social channels have been squashed while being uploaded and there is the black strip across the top still with some interference, I noticed Melbourne is like this now also as of the last week or so.

Queensland:

Melbourne:

Another thing is that ten daily have only been uploading the Sydney newsbytes to the website also, rather than market specific which seems pointless and again is immediately obvious the the site is very Sydney centric so far as you can see here: https://tendaily.com.au/search?query=newsbyte

3 Likes

Ten also seem to upload there Queensland twitter feed much later… the other night the first story didn’t get up until after 6.30 with Sydney & Melbourne posting there’s in the first five minutes. Ten should start posting Newsbytes and stories back on the YouTube channel or Instagram.

Agree and it shows that there is nobody from a local perspective sharing updates or things relevant to that area when these things happen.

The stories from the national bulletin went up quite late on the national page over the weekend also and were all uploaded simultaneously within a couple of minutes rather than just after they went to air.

A lot of the Sydney bulletin also gets posted to the main account rather than selecting stories from each state which have a national significance to share across their various channels.

2 Likes

Something interesting, not sure if this is the right thread. But when comparing all Australian Television News logos, it becomes quite evident that Ten is in a desperate position to rebrand. Quite evidently, every other logo is flat, sleek and simple, yet Ten Eyewitness News First at Five has too many colours gradients and fonts going on.

4 Likes

Probably because you’ve chosen a 3D variant of the Ten News logo and 2D variants of the other news logos.

3 Likes

The ones that are used in the bulletins (I think there are 3 variants) all have similar 3d glossing.

2 Likes

Depends which news, ABC News only has 2D logos, Nine News only uses 3D logos except advertising for 9news.com.au, and Seven News uses a flat watermark but glossy everywhere else.

4 Likes

…and if you want to be technical, SBS brands it’s online/digital services as “SBS News” while retaining the “SBS World News” brand for TV/radio bulletins.

So all the networks (except maybe the ABC) have somewhat confusing branding strategies to some extent.

1 Like

The point he’s probably making is it’s very messy and cluttered. No strong identity.

1 Like

Also, I think the variant of the logo with the smaller “eyewitness” title used on the set screen is pretty redundant, as it’ll get lost when watching at a distance, they should have used the stacked version they use as the watermark, as the words won’t get lost on smaller screens.

They also failed to capitalise on the “eyewitness” element of the brand right from the get-go, also making the name meaningless, other than it being a throwback name, and a point of different from the others. “First At Five” is also pretty pointless nowadays.

I wouldn’t mind a return to just “Ten News” as the main brand, and perhaps “Ten News at Five” as said recently by a few presenters and by Ross Dagan in his letter as “News at Five” if an expansion is planned down the road under the new direction under CBS, time will tell… :thinking:

Needless to say, could this be the most significant Ten News relaunch in a while?

1 Like

I remember on relaunch night they had report about how “in coming weeks” viewers would have a chance to interact with the news.
Did anything at all ever happen? An app? An email to send vision? Anything?

@ 13:38

Possibly referring to the Ten Eyewitness News App that launched shortly after the relaunch and there were even promos for it (see the very start of this clip, thanks @Sifon):

2 Likes

Seems like it was removed from both the App Store and Google Play, so much for that strategy! :confused: They should have held off the relaunch until the App was ready imo. I wonder if they used any user uploaded content for their bulletins.

1 Like

It was a pretty garbage app though from memory

Are you talkimg about the facebook pages? On the national ten news page its says they are launching updates from back in the news revolultion days! They need to get rid of this info! Also local ten daily positions are up.for grabs in Perth and Melbourne :+1:

1 Like

Perth has been doing since day dot :joy:

1 Like