Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

They are still using mine :joy: Nice that it fullfilled its purpose and is being used for legitimate News stories, it’s happened more than once now.

14 Likes

Nice closing shot in Brisbane tonight.

5 Likes

Tonight

9 Likes

Just out of interest, if Ten did launch a 2 hour morning bulletin similar to what we saw last week, how manny staff would be required to produce it?

Producers/crew/reporters etc.

1 Like

Seven and Nine use the same breakfast show production team to produce the early news, TODAY/Sunrise, and morning news bulletins (along with resources in each capital city) before the metros take over in the evening. In the last range of news cuts Ten effectively switched from having AM/PM shifts to a single day shift and cut half the workforce as a result. So news bulletins in the morning would require increasing personnel by at least half the current workforce.

Taking a guess from the makeup of Weekend news, Ten would need at least two reporters in each city plus three reporters in sport. You’d then need a few producers on top of that. Overnight footage is already being taken care of but you’d need to have at least two crews on hand in each city in the morning (with live link capability)

7 Likes

I imagine that even a skeleton crew would be close to 30 people - a two person crew in each capital is 12 people plus 4-6 full time producers, 4-6 crew to actually put the bulletin to air, a presenter or two, a makeup/wardrobe person, somebody to make the coffee/smashed avo…have I missed anybody?

NJR has the right idea… but you wouldn’t be hunting for stories to fill an entire bulletin. The early news - a 2 hour bulletin say - Would need, at minimum…

SYD/MEL/BRIS/ADEL
One journalist, one editor and one camera operator (live links if needed can be from the newsroom camera or a Dejero unit)

These journos would scour the 5pm news last night, find things happening overnight… 4 out of 5 days in Brisbane nothing news worthy happens though.

You’ll also need Master Control and News Exchange operators in Brisbane and Melbourne to be rostered on.

That’s twenty people.

STUDIO - TECHNICAL
You’ll need a director, directors assistant, technical director, floor manager, camera operator.
Five.

STUDIO - EDITORIAL
EP, line-up producer, two or three producers, another journo or two to write foreign stories, another one or two editors to cut those foreign stories.
Six - Eight.

PRESENTERS
News, Sport and Weather
Three.

And I haven’t even thought about the Chief of Staff or Perth… where you’d have the same level of Staff as the east coast but on local time, so if there is anything news worthy they can redo the segments.

That’s 34 people at a minimum… remember they’d all have to be new starters and trained in TEN’s systems and procedures… Doesn’t sound like a lot, but it’s a mammoth undertaking that TEN obviously aren’t ready for.

6 Likes

You wouldn’t need a weather or sports presenter, maybe a finance presenter as a back up. Brisbane and Adelaide crews could potentially come on board later.

Traffic would be easy as the pooled traffic helicopter is already available. That would also potentially allow for some aerial coverage of early news events.

Ten Eyewitness News - Morning Edition would be a great alternative to watching Seven, Nine and the ABC in the mornings. It would only need to cater for an audience of say 50-60k, and potentially grow from there.

5 Likes

Just Ten Morning News would do, TENME would be quite a mouthful. If they insist on keeping eyewitness branding, just Ten Eyewitness News Morning.

But I do agree, be a point of difference to Seven and Nine, go to air some time around 6 or 7am to lead into Studio 10. See how straight news fairs against breakfast TV.

2 Likes

Then ya’ll whinge that it’s Sydney centric or Melbourne centric.

Not possible because I highly doubt Sunrise and Today will want to share their traffic ‘reporter’ with ten and since there are only 2 seats (plus pilot) on the R44’s there’s no room for more.

3 Likes

They don’t seem to mind sharing in the afternoon. Just needs a shirt change.

Last I checked 7 and 9 don’t own the traffic reporters…

1 Like

No, but there will be some deal for the mornings – hence why Ten never had reports in the mornings with Wake Up and Breakfast.

Also in the afternoons the chopper lands and changes presenters or shirts. But they definitely do land after the 7&9 reports and before ten.

1 Like

Get the main product to air first, then expand resources in other markets later. Brisbane and Adelaide news can still be covered in the meantime from Sydney or Melbourne (not ideal, but one step at a time)

Canberra would also be another issue.

That’s not the view of this board and it’s also not the view of staff, no one will want to do extra work.

And regardless why would you not include the entire network in the new show?

World Cup supers

5 Likes

The Jeff Glor Trump interview got played

5 Likes