Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

This is about the 4th different theory I’ve heard in the past week.

20 Likes

The Prime bulletin improved when Mediaworks took over production especially as they could utilise their existing resources and produce a somewhat quality news product.

If we were to look at the efforts of the previous contractor for Prime News - Sky News Australia thats a different story. They didn’t like to spend to much on its news service over here and often relied on Mediaworks for news vision and overall the production was fairly poor and cheap. The bulletin was actually controlled/produced from Sky News HQ in Sydney with the News reader left on their own on a tiny news set in NZ which isnt a great testament to the efforts of Sky News.

I know its not exactly the same scenario thats happening in Australia but I doubt Sky News would deliver a better product for Network Ten so lets hope it doesn’t become a reality.

1 Like

it’s by far the most thought out one yet.

1 Like

Even if Sky News does take over Ten’s News operations, they will need to access Ten’s Newsroom/Reporters and crews to produce stories. Some may go, but a lot will stay.

5 Likes

But it won’t really be Ten… it will be a news corp entity sky news. It’s outsourcing at its absolute worst.

They need to maintain their news department. Find savings elsewhere.

2 Likes

Somehow I think your beef is more to do with a philosophical opposition to News Corp rather than the best interests of Ten News. Nothing wrong with that, but there are millions of readers and users who like what News Corp do.

1 Like

4 Likes

No it’s not that.

I want a diverse media landscape. I’ve been watching ten news since 1987 and have always enjoyed their service and I think it’s sad they would end it.

I think it’s tacky and lazy to outsource. We need to ten to remain strong and have a diversified offering for the market. They’ve had poor management ever since the buy in by Murdoch and packer at the end of 2010. The network was set for growth but then the strategy was never allowed to come to fruition.

5 Likes

Sydney’s coverage:

Some rather sneaky (or lazy…why not do a wide angle cross to the videowall?) use of the “live cross” graphic when Hugh is only a few metres away from Sandra!

11 Likes

We are just assuming that they are going to screw with Ten News, and they most likely will. But it does not mean that Ten News will be axed or shutdown. I think that’s wild speculation on our part. I also agree they can start cutting costs elsewhere - but where though? It would be easily to pick on the production costs of televisions shows produced and the output deals they have currently.

1 Like

Lol that is quite stupid. Why not just use a nice angle where they are both talking to each other.

1 Like

Some might also say Ten’s best years were under the original Murdoch in the 80s. Certainly, the building blocks of the #1 rating Eyewitness News commenced during his reign.

I understand it’s a whole new ballgame and generation now. But I also think it’s an exciting proposition.

Roll on GMA*

*wishful thinking

1 Like

I’d hate to see Murdoch get more of a stranglehold on Australia’s media. I, too, would prefer to see a diverse media landscape but It’ll take somebody with very deep pockets to ensure the viability of Ten.

I would, however, agree that Murdoch control of Ten is an exciting proposition given the innovations he brought to Ten in the 1980s. Experimenting with the Eyewitness News format to include feature and consumer reporting in the bulletin, “Live Eye” reporting and heavy use of helicopters to get that dramatic news footage were all game changers that would slowly lead to a successful period for the network.

If there was to be a marriage of convenience between Sky News and Ten News I’d expect to see many innovations derived from what is working for Fox local stations in US markets. Expanding the news service on Ten across the day through the use of Sky News product could only be a good thing and might even see Seven and Nine make an effort to have a news presence in the late evenings.

3 Likes

Didn’t Ten Eyewitness news win for a few years during the 1980s?

Yes, partly thanks to the phenomenon that was Perfect Match at 5.30, but also the Eyewitness News brand that was built over much of the early to mid 80’s. I’m sure TelevisionAU can fill you in with the details, but Melbourne in particular was a powerhouse.

1 Like

Well @TelevisionAU tell us all you know :slight_smile:

I can’t speak for Sydney or other cities but in Melbourne Ten was very strong in the 80s often neck-and-neck with Nine, particularly once Mal Walden came over after being dumped from Seven.

2 Likes

Do you know how Seven with Mal Walden was doing against Naylor on Nine and David & Jana/Jo at the time. Was he shafted because of poor ratings?

Seven was coming a distant 3rd behind Nine and Ten. We never saw ratings figures but anecdotal evidence suggested Seven was rating about a 15 while Nine and Ten were up in the high 20s or possibly even low 30s.

But Seven’s new management were so bent on sweeping out anything from the “old” management I don’t think Mal’s axing was due to ratings. And once he was gone those 15s went down to zeros and ones (and being beaten by ABC and SBS) and Ten News shot up to a 40 on Mal’s opening night.

Thanks a lot @TelevisionAU. However wasn’t the year of Mal’s entrance into TEN the year NNN started beatin g them again (1987)?