Ten News Centralisation 2020

This is horrible news, especially for Perth. Monika just started with 10.

This network is such a shambles

19 Likes

I don’t understand where the cost savings are here? They are still separate bulletins, and except Perth, they run concurrent to the other bulletin, so still need a number of separate staff for control rooms and presenting.

Plus, why move presenting into more expensive realestate in Sydney and Melbourne? Moving out of Sydney/Melbourne would be better cost cutting. Don’t they more or less have free land in Brisbane?

A huge shame to see this.

2 Likes

The initial report of multiple bulletins from Sydney isn’t correct - just the one.

From Monday, September 14, newsreader Sandra Sully will present a 90-minute bulletin at 5pm to viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth while Jennifer Keyte will anchor a combined Melbourne and Adelaide bulletin.

2 Likes

Agreed, I fail to understand this move as well… Sure it cuts down the crew, but you risk damaging the Melbourne and Sydney markets because of it.

I would have thought first thing to go would have been the weekend bulletins than this. Surely they cost more to generate (despite being national)

Devastating news for everyone involved. They might as well centralise everything to Sydney if this is what they expect the audience to put up with!

Puts an end to any hopes that CBS would be the savior for Network 10. Even Lachlan didn’t manage to take things this far.

5 Likes

I think you’ll find this is a Viacom decision.

2 Likes

I would think that this is the work of VIACOMCBS rather than CBS.
CBS seemed to have a different level of thinking, given they put so much $$ into the new set and resources for news, same with going for sporting rights.

5 Likes

Oh. I suppose that’s the cost savings then. Wow.

Who is going to watch this over local news? Did they watch Nine News Local last night and think that would work for them too?

Hopefully there’s lots of reporting on this so hopefully some viewer outrage can see this reversed.

Presenter salaries- it’s the same as what 9 did with its local news. Cut from the top.

1 Like

The CBS purchase was supposed to reinvigorate the network, but all they execs are looking at are short-term dollar signs. They’re not seeing how damaging this will be. Short-term money bonus will cost them big bucks in a year or two.

This goes beyond the previous centralisations to Sydney and Melbourne; the Adelaide and Perth bulletins were still read/produced separately back then. Combined bulletins will not only hurt the axed markets but Sydney and Melbourne will also suffer.

7 Likes

Imagine being from Perth and getting three hour old news (in summer) from the other side of the country. Surely not.

2 Likes

As others have said, it seems the Viacom/CBS merger has changed the mindset of 10’s parent company

5 Likes

This mumbrella report may be contradicting the SMH report about combined bulletins. This sounds more like bulletins being produced for each market but by the same team. It sounds more like the original Blackbox report.

The restructure will see Sydney and Melbourne as the central locations for the weekday 10 News First bulletins, with Sydney, Brisbane and Perth all hosting their bulletins out of Sydney and Melbourne and Adelaide taking place in Adelaide. Sandra Sully and Matt Burke will host the Sydney and Brisbane news. A new team will be announced to host the Perth news. Jennifer Keyte and Stephen Quartermain will host Melbourne and Adelaide.

3 Likes

Guess they could do a local 6pm half hour for Adelaide

9 Likes

Then how does this work given that Sydney and Brisbane are in the same timezone for half the year??

2 Likes

Guess this all answers as to why we haven’t seen any new sets across other other markets…

6 Likes

One bulletin pre-recorded?

1 Like

I can only guess it will be akin to how Seven QLD and WIN produce their bulletins for multiple markets - pre-recorded.

3 Likes

That would be shocking if so. But I wouldn’t be surprised.