Ten News Centralisation 2020

Guess this all answers as to why we haven’t seen any new sets across other other markets…

6 Likes

One bulletin pre-recorded?

1 Like

I can only guess it will be akin to how Seven QLD and WIN produce their bulletins for multiple markets - pre-recorded.

3 Likes

That would be shocking if so. But I wouldn’t be surprised.

This is horrible…I’m from Perth and always watch Ten News First. Their Perth newsroom and bulletin are great and they have a consistent loyal ratings.
Definitely a very bad decision for Ten for Perth viewers. Ten news even out rates Nine News on some nights here. I predict ratings will go down.
I am also a huge fan of Neralda Jacobs and hope they keep her reading the news (at least on the weekend edition) and I am sad to see Monika Kos let go. She is too good for Ten to lose out.

7 Likes

Brisbane news is being axed apparently

I’m interpreting it as a total of 3 bulletins:

Sydney & Brisbane - with Sandra
Melbourne & Adelaide - With Jenifer
Perth - Narelda?

5 Likes

What a tragic way for 10 Brisbane to get a HD bulletin.

12 Likes

This is a really bad decision, especially for Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth viewers, as the combined bulletins may not be able to cover breaking news in all three cities.
And there is no guarantee the three cities will get their own bulletins back when the economy recovers.
I am not sure if it is part of ViacomCBS’s intention to get out of news coverage, which began with the axing of 10Daily?

Reading all the stuff from Ten it doesn’t mean separate bulletins for Sydney and Brisbane. It’ll be a combined bulletin.

She could join Jonathan Uptin on Weekends at QTQ, but even Nine probably doesn’t have enough cash laying around for that.

Sad day regardless.

4 Likes

Doubt that’s the whole story.

Look at the cuts happening in newsrooms across the board. The biggest recession since the Great Depression, in an industry already facing some substantial challenges, has decimated the ad market. What was viable just six months ago is suddenly not, hence why you have hundreds of regional papers also shutting up shop. This is hardly unique to Ten and its parent company.

ViacomCBS would be feeling huge pressure both here in Aus and back in the US. Movie and TV production has ground to a halt and cinemas are closed, TV and online ad revenue must be diabolical. Obviously some hard decisions are being made.

Although I really question where the rationale of cutting Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide news is. Why not cut Melbourne and just embrace a national news bulletin? Why keep two “local” bulletins that serve respectively two and three vastly different markets? This isn’t even on the same level as theoretically doing Newcastle news from Sydney - this is Sydney news being put live into Brisbane, and Melbourne news into Perth… that means state politics stories from New South Wales will either be dropped from Sydney or beamed into Brisbane, either way, no one wins.

Either go national or make savings elsewhere and retain the local news. There were other options, such as running less local stories, more national stories or using international packages from other broadcasters so they need less staff in each region. But it would still give the impression of local.

Weird.

7 Likes

I’d prefer her replacing Jonathan at QTQ

Probably a division down AFL/NRL lines. Cities with similarities. Not sure why Perth is grouped in with Sydney/Brisbane though.

From Monday, September 14, newsreader Sandra Sully will present a 90-minute bulletin at 5pm to viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth while Jennifer Keyte will anchor a combined Melbourne and Adelaide bulletin. Panel show The Project and 10’s national weekend news, hosted by Chris Bath, are unaffected.

Unless Perth gets a different bulletin two or three hours later with the same presenter.

2 Likes

From the SMH Article

“While we’re centralising the presentation of our news in Sydney and Melbourne, we’re still committed to local coverage,” said a source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to make public comments.

Seems like a joke to say that when you have just axed local presenters who know their market and their audience.

2 Likes

Maybe they don’t have the ability to manage it in Melbourne?

3 Likes

As was just mentioned in the Content and Appearance thread:

All Brisbane presenters are out of a job.
Weather forecasts will be read from Sydney (judging by the article), so it looks like all weather presenters are out of a job too.

1 Like

So Narelda will do Perth live from Sydney? Surely the presenters across Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth should be given the option to move to Syd/Mel if they wanted.

No mention yet for Adelaide and Perth, but it’s a shame for Monika as she just started with the network at the start of the year.

Brisbane seems to have already been confirmed that all 3 of their presenters are not tagging along to Sydney.

4 Likes