Ten News First Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

I actually thought the packages weren’t ready as the game finished during the bulletin so it was a race against time to compile a story but I guess it could have been technical issues.

Yeah almost certainly trying to complete them after the finals. Even with an editor working on the job during the match it’d take a big effort to have it subbed, voiced and rendered (in Melbourne) and then sent to Sydney and embedded into the rundown.

Had the bulletin come out of Melbourne I reckon it would have gone to air on time, it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to render and then be sent out to Sydney, recieved and embedded. In Melbourne once it was rendered it would have been as good as ready to go live.

Not sure why the Rugby failed to load, but I guess it may have been a look live from South Africa that hadn’t come in.

Great work from Emma (who has loads of experience improvising live on FSN and doing the PA at Wests). After Fox poached a few journos from Ten last year it seems people are moving the other way now.

1 Like

Yeah, nah. Usually game stories that close to air are edited quarter by quarter… so all that needs doing once the game wraps is to add one last VO line about the scores, a couple of celebration shots and render.

Once conformed, it can be played in real time from Melbourne to Sydney.

1 Like

Narelda Jacobs is again presenting tonight.

9 Likes

I’m joining the Narelda appreciation club, she’s fantastic. I’d watch a late night news bulletin presented by her any day, even if it came from Perth.

9 Likes

Emma Lawrence presenting sport again this weekend,most likely she is the regular weekend presenter until Roz Kelly starts next year.

2 Likes

8 Likes

@lexington To what extent would Ten be able to do the national news from Perth? I get her substitution was a token gesture but why fly her over from Perth? Would they still require a Sydney production team?

1 Like

Perth studio is downstreamed by a Melbourne control room… so you’d need a studio crew in Perth plus a control room crew in Melbourne.

Then, because the weekend resources are focused in Sydney… you’d need producers, a few more journos.

Compare that with just doing it again an hour later in Sydney… where you’d get Narelda to do it (I’m guessing for a local flavour) and Lachie on sport.

As a permanent thing, instead of a full new Perth bulletin, you could commit (roster staff) to redoing segments for the delay markets when needed.

Breaking news? Redo the first segment, and make it the exact same length as the national bulletin so that’s all you do. Sport scores? Redo sport.

Weather? Heck, pre record the last segments for each market and play them to presentation for playout to each market. (Remember Wake Up’s local news updates?)

Use what you have to localise the bulletin without spending a crap tonne of money… that way you can spend money where it’s needed until you can fully support weekends again.

7 Likes

Narelda just said at the end of the bulletin “Thats ten eyewitness news Perth. Its been an honour and a privellege bringing you the AFL Grand Final coverage this weekend. I will see you again next weekend

3 Likes

no way they’d move her.

Maybe not move her, but split time or something. I just found it interesting that it was a close just for Perth and she said that she would see us again next weekend instead of saying see you tomorrow…

That’s very interesting. Surely that was an error and she meant to say tomorrow?

Perhaps, but it was very clearly "I’ll see you again next weekend"after she was talking about how honoured she was to bring the news live this weekend.

as mentioned in the other thread, maybe Tarsh is off for two weeks? Maybe the callout went out and she volunteered?

Perhaps, I just feel there is more too it. She didn’t say anything in the national bulletin about being back next weekend, just a simple good night (checked on Tenplay).

1 Like

National audiences don’t have a connection with her.

I think it’s clear that TEN are investing in their weekend news for Perth viewers.

4 Likes

Couldn’t Perth be downstreamed in Sydney for weekends…utilises same control room crew!

1 Like

it used to be the case, but I don’t think the capability is there anymore.