Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Matt Burke in Melbourne with the sport. Looks like they’ve put the national background behind him.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Since when did Melbourne have a video wall? Because I don’t think it’s from Melbourne

3 Likes

Relaunch alert? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A Fox studio perhaps?

Most likely the Project set.

7 Likes

HD versions of caps

7 Likes

It was from Melbourne. And you’ll find that he’s in the same studio he was in for the rugby coverage. Lighting is more production than news too (more detail rather than a flat fill - as you can see between Hugh and Matt.)

3 Likes

Did Gordon and Matt call the rugby from a studio in Melbourne?

Never mind I saw it in he ten sport thread.

10 Likes

Exactly right … if anything they should be expanding news. It would create more content for them. They’re fucktards. I feel sorry for the hardworking staff. Management have been taking the place down the wrong path. Cutting content isn’t the way to create a diversified media company. If they cut news and close down newsrooms they can’t reverse course.

5 Likes

The problem has actually reached a point where there is essentially no more money to spend. If they had money they wouldn’t be considering going into receivership. It’s going to be hard to invest in more content when there’s no money to spend. I’m not disputing that more and better content would help save Ten, but that should have been done ages ago when there was still money available. This is basically the end of the of the road. They have no money and no one is going to give them any… they have 3 options:

1. Shut up shop
  2. Pray that someone else will give them money (unlikely when the 3 largest shareholders won’t secure an extra $50 million)
  3. Stop spending what they can so that the essential bills have to paid. It’s no good investing in programming if the power’s about to get cut off.
2 Likes

The thing is, they can’t cost-cut any further. In that article by the Canberra Times, some staff are claiming

“There’s no fat left to trim”
“We can’t just cut our way out of trouble,”

Options 1 and 2 are really all that Ten have, there is literally no more money unless they can get a loan.

2 Likes

Combine a mass saturation level of promotion from Seven/Nine News along with extremely popular & influential presenting teams (in particular: Nine Sydney/Melbourne, Seven Perth/Adelaide) over a long period of time and unfortunately, it’s quite possible that Ten may never be able to build it’s news brand to the level of Seven/Nine News ever again.

I would suggest that Ten probably needed to heavily build it’s local news presenting teams and heavily promote it’s local news service a decade or more ago when it was getting decent ratings and revenue which Seven & Nine would’ve been envious of. The failure to invest those profits into local news & local programing (not to mention the sacking of so much talent & news/current affairs programing in recent years) at a time when Ten was riding high has probably lead the news & current affairs department to where it is today.

7 Likes

Do Ten actually need news? Rather than be 3rd in the commercial market why not focus on other genres… Potentially rebrand as an all entertainment network similar to Fox8? In the event of a 9/11 or Lindt Siege type scenario they could just rebroadcast the Sky News feed…

3 Likes

Queensland budget

7 Likes

Agreed, I think ten should axe news all together, yes jobs will go. That’s the way things are when a company hits hard times. Sometimes a complete rebrand, name change and overhaul of a company goes along way. They should rebrand to a completely new company, to suggest a shift in focus. Get the public talking. Maybe have a deal with CBS and rebrand to CBS Australia. The TEN name is dead, associated and plagued with stuffups.
Maybe they should shift their focus away from FTA? A full fledged streaming service and online content creator​?

CBS is an American brand with a lot of news output.

If they add news then they won’t be considered a real commercial free to air network.

News is actually that rates on their network in its only slot. Being a relay station isn’t necessarily going to bring in any revenue and they will be worse off. Advertisers want mass audiences not niche piss weak bullshit.

3 Likes

Well what ever they do, they are stuck in a mucky position. Sure they’ve been through this before, but that was when FTA was still viable. I actually would like to see more news on ten, but they don’t have the money. Interesting times ahead…

If Bruce doesn’t want to back the loan and Ten goes into receivership then what is the future of WIN

1 Like