Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I can understand national sport + news segments, but it would be a serious step back if they opted in for national weather.

If Ten were to completely axe local news and go with a network service like weekends, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Seven and/or Nine were to very quickly respond with local 5pm weekday bulletins of their own.

I rarely watch Ten’s 5pm bulletin as it is now but if they were to completely go with a national/networked news service on weeknights, I’d probably consider switching off the network permanently as far as news is concerned.

While it’s important to see the big picture national/international news coverage, I also like seeing relevant news coverage which is specifically tailored to the needs of my city and state. Somehow, I doubt that I’m the only one who fits into this category.

I’m already cringing at the thought of a possible “Daily Bailey’s National Weather Wall” segment presented out of Sydney. Mind you, the reactions from interstate viewers on social media would probably be freaking hilarious! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even the thought of a national sport segment doesn’t sit right with me, because Australia is very parochial when it comes to sport with deep loyalties and rivalries when it comes to local teams and sport preferences. Although it goes without saying, people in Sydney are not going to want to see AFL as the top sports story of the day and I’m sure similar can be said about viewers in Melbourne if Ten chose NRL as the top sports story of the day.

6 Likes

Guess I’m a bit biased since I rarely watch or care about the sports report :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It would be a real shame to loose Mike Larkin in Melbourne, since he’s been presenting the weather for us since 96 (if I’m correct?). Surely he would be poached by another network.[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:2265, topic:61”]
If Ten were to completely axe local news and go with a network service like weekends, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Seven and/or Nine were to very quickly respond with local 5pm weekday bulletins of their own.
[/quote]

I could definitely see Nine jumping in on this. Hot Seat hasn’t been performing well and surely 5PM news would do better? I couldn’t see Seven doing this anytime soon as The Chase performs very well for them.

4 Likes

Can’t wait for the country to embrace the national “Daily Bailey” weather segment.

It makes absolutely no sense to have a national sport report when the country is divided when it comes to the code of football they follow.

If they intend on providing scant local news I’d prefer they produce a bulletin in the style of the old Late News bulletins with a local window.

7 Likes

I can actually see the ABC benefiting more from this time slot.

National weather? Just have the local presenter read the weather report with the graphics full-screen, like Seven and Nine do on weekends.

1 Like

Even if they produced an NRL and an AFL version of the sports report, I couldn’t see this going down well for a lot of fellow Queenslanders, who are very much used to having Broncos/Cowboys/Titans leading every sports segment.

Perhaps they should relaunch SportsTonight.

2 Likes

Maybe they should produce a local 9.30 Ten News Sports Tonight combo!!! I don’t think anyone has ever thought of that one before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be hard to pre-record five local weather forecasts would it?

2 Likes

If Ten is cutting their existing news service there would seem to be no chance of them starting any new news or sports news programs.

5 Likes

What are the chances this would be fronted by Sandra Sully? Or would she jump ship?

ITV has local news at 6, national news at 6.30. The opposite of the BBC.

1 Like

I think that the ‘national’ sport and weather segments would still be ‘local’… presented by the one presenter from the ‘Ten News Centre.’ – So like local Nine Regional or WIN News, recorded from 3pm. Weather could easily be done by one person in Sydney on a green screen.

I’ve been told that the three options presented to the board are classed as ‘bad’ ‘worse’ and ‘disastrous’

6 Likes

One would hope that they do go with the “bad” option. Lets say some miracle does happen in the future and the network does get funding to support a proper news service, then they don’t have to go through the process of fully reopening all the state divisions.

can I ask. What is ‘Ten News Centre’.

Sydney Studios.

2 Likes

Sure? I know regionals have that requirement for local news but I wasn’t aware of any metro stipulation?

I just figured if regionals had just a requirement, then metros would by default as well.

I believe there is a requirement on license holders in metro markets to broadcast what equates to half an hour a day of news. (Nine and Seven obviously smash that.)

4 Likes

Why cant they find savings in other areas away from news? They’ve already gutted it twice before.

2 Likes