Ten Cricket Coverage

Sixers v Heat game finished at 10:07pm. Sixers got over the line to beat the Heat by 9 wickets with 10 overs to spare. Quickest chase in BBL history.

6 Likes

Bugger, should have thought not to read this thread! Just got home from work and sat down and put the recording on but did notice Blue Bloods was on and not the cricket so thought it must have been a flogging!

1 Like

A bit unique but why does Andrew Symonds wear his Brisbane Heat cap when calling the cane in the commentary box?

much like Gilly wearing his Scorchers pride…

Wow, the Heat have really fallen in a heap lately.

Maybe they should change their name to the Brisbane Heap.

do you see Gilly having a Scorchers cap on for a non-Scorchers match.

he’s always done it though… I don’t see the big deal.

Australian Coach Darren Lehmann commentating tonight. I know it was talked about that he was going to be on but I didn’t realise he’d be the third commentator. Gilly, Punter and Boof tonight.

I’m curious what others think about the obvious bias from the hosts too? If anybody had said to me that would be part of the coverage I’d have hated the idea and I think of back when Tim Lane Channel Nine just before Ed was due to call a Collingwood game and the conflict of interest there. Honestly though I think I like the fact that each member has their team that they are passionate about, can encourage, can get a ribbing for etc… as it seems like there is one for each team and I think it seems to provide a bit more insight.

I really enjoy hearing the insight with the commentary on Ten too from Ponting in particular but also Gilly and Junior from a selection point of view and the talking to the players on the ground and even having the national coach on for a full night of commentary too is something which I couldn’t even imagine having from Nine.

I’d be interested to see what Ten could do to innovate coverage if they managed to secure more rights. While some of it is quite cringeworthy (Wicket of Truth) there’s a lot which I do enjoy from the style which Ten approaches it with.

3 Likes

How does nine have the ability of having Boof in the box for a whole game, when he is coaching the Australian Team? What a load of rubbish “you wouldn’t see Nine do that”.

It’s called the benefit of not having the rights to international cricket! During the ashes he made himself available to nine and vice versa.

I sont think he was talking about have Darren Lehman. Go read it again.

1 Like

Ten revealed the schedule for next week’s BBL semi finals during tonight’s telecast. Perth’s WACA Ground will host the Scorchers’ semi final next Thursday (February 1) with coverage from 7.30pm AEDT, not 8.30pm, so local fans will be a bit disappointed. Adelaide Strikers will host the other semi final on Friday, February 2.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t word it correctly. Obviously he’s not going to be available for something like that but it’s ideas of things which I don’t think the Nine type of coverage would do. It feels like a boys club and I honestly don’t know how they can change that feel but the Ten coverage feels like a more inclusive, family type.

I agree with what Shane Warne said the other week about how Big Bash would be much easier to get that vibe but I think there’s still more to it than that.

1 Like

The current commentary team ethos is fine for the BBL as it is - six weeks over summer where you put your feet up and just enjoy the cricket. It’s like watching cricket with your mates, who obviously will have favourites and biases and are always keen for some self-deprecating banter.

But it wouldn’t work for international cricket, or for a five-six month season.

Personally, I think the BBL’s next step post-broadcast deal needs to be improving the standard of play (Australia are still yet to win a T20 world cup) and with that a move away from the hit and giggle which the BBL still has to some extent and more towards NBA style high-quality professional entertainment. Still fun, still exciting, but also with soul and heart.

I namedrop the NBA because I think the best commentary/analysis in sports broadcasting comes from TNT’s Inside the NBA crew. A bunch of big names who can turn on the serious analysis, but also can engage in self-deprecating entertaining banter which makes sure the viewers are well in on the joke.

The team still have their favourites to a small degree (Charles Barkley and his love/hate relationship with Phoenix, and they’ll all get behind their college during March Madness) but they don’t gush or get jingo-istic.

Whilst I doubt we’ll see something as solid as Inside the NBA on Australian TV (mainly because the culture around the NBA is far different to anything in Australian mainstream sport) I reckon the BBL could be the next best opportunity to do something similar.

3 Likes

You mean OPTUS Stadium as this Thursday will be the last ever cricket match at the WACA

1 Like

I heard that the semi final would be held at the WACA Ground, and if the Scorchers win, they will play the final at Optus Stadium. Also, WACA Ground will continue to host Sheffield Shield and domestic one-day matches, plus some BBL games.

1 Like

Wrong. It will be held at the OPTUS Stadium even Ten Sport displayed on the TV tonight that it will be held at the OPTUS Stadium. I believe it has always been stated for some time now that if the Scorchers made it through to the finals and they could host the finals in their own right then the game would be moved to OPTUS Stadium. I would say it again this Thursday will be the last ever for BBL games at the WACA.

https://twitter.com/tensporttv/status/955732370493075456

5 Likes

No some games will still be played there.

2 Likes

Is Matt White doing boundary duties tonight?

Lisa Sthalekar is doing boundary duties tonight.

1 Like

what types besides the mentioned of Sheffield Shield, as Big Bash and International Cricket will be moved to OPTUS Stadium