Tasmanian Radio

Thoughts on the move of all 3 ‘bigger’ FM stations moving towards mainly Networked programming? Can’t say I’ve listened to much Hobart radio for a while but didn’t realise just how much of it came from elsewhere.

Since Triple M & 7HO went to networked programming from 5pm weekdays as from the beginning of this year, this leaves only ABC Radio Hobart & the Community stations on having any local programming after that time.

The most interesting thing is that LAFM in Launceston & 7SD in the North East (which is pretty much a relay of LAFM), as well as 7AD/7BU in the North West, has local programming until 6pm weekdays. That means, combined with “Tasmania Talks”, they have more hours of local programming than any of the Hobart commercial stations on a weekday, even if it’s only 1 hour extra when compared with Triple M & 7HO (or 3 hours extra when compared with Hit 100.9).

It’s unfortunate :frowning:

At least with 7HO network shows they are played out of their studios and don’t rely on satellite feeds which reduces the chances of dead air… and they have control over it rather than a network getting involved.

Must say I’m not a fan of the majority of the local “talent” the big 3 use. So Networked stuff, whilst not localised at all, isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

When I was at Hobart in March last year, I gave 7HO & Triple M an equal amount of my listening time, and I do agree with you that Triple M is musically more preferrable over 7HO, despite the fact that Triple M’s log generates from the Gold Coast, whilst 7HO’s is done locally. Then again, the AFL season hadn’t yet started when I was down there, which helps on being able to listen to Triple M during the weekend. :slight_smile:

It will be interesting to see how both stations perform in this year’s Hobart radio ratings later this year.

I didn’t listen to it much either. In case you didn’t know already, 7SD (which can be picked up in Victoria via AM) carries the same log as LAFM.

I didn’t get to listen to it much when I was in the West Coast, although I guess in hindsight, I should’ve paid a bit more attention to it. Oh well, at least I can always stream them online. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I first visited Tassie in Jan 2000, 7XS ran a local request show in the evening. Someone requested the latest Killing Heidi song- they didn’t have it!

5 Likes

Well, I guess they didn’t have the internet rolled out on the West Coast back then, so couldn’t easily transport content between stations like they can now.

1 Like

Tasmanian radio station Pulse FM, now broadcasting to the pacific on 4835khz Shortwave between 1400 and 2000 UTC!

Grant Broadcasters is boosting its local news coverage for its Tasmanian stations.

3 Likes

All done out of Hobart presumably.

That’s awesome! I really admire what Grant Broadcasters do in Tasmania.

Similar to the local news Grant Broadcasters do in Geelong which is quite good. I often use their websites and Facebook pages for local news as it doesn’t have a paywall

About time really. The only local news worth listening to at the moment is on abc local.

The guy wires were detonated on the old 7NT AM transmitter masts yesterday at Kelso bringing them to the ground. The land has recently been sold and I understand as part of the sale Broadcast Australia covered the cost.
Video:

3 Likes

It’s been how many years? Very slow.

Yeah the 711AM transmission was shut down around 2006 I think ? Or was it 2008…

1 Like

I’m amazed BA have held onto the site for either length.