Tasmanian Radio

1 Like

First order of business: an OB from the Cat and Fiddle Arcade (@radioengineer).

The dish ran away with the Spoonman.

5 Likes

Is that Macka ex-MaxFM Taree?

Is it perennially overcast in Hobart? Macka was of a much darker/tanned complexion when was in Taree and previous gigs.

Hobart is actually sunnier than most people think due to the rain shadow effect from Mt. W. The UV is a lot less intense than Taree of course. There are a lot of days in the 'Bart that alternate between quick sunshine, quick showers, then back to sunshine again. Take both sunscreen and a raincoat if you’re visiting at this time of year (as I did in 2018).

Great to see your station going from strength to strength, Josh. You put everyone here to shame considering your tender age!

7 Likes
1 Like

31 August will be auction day for the high power FM radio licence for Hobart, Tasmania (104.3FM).

1 Like

So lets take bets:

104.3 SEN Hobart
104.3 Pulse FM
Kixx Country 104.3

2 Likes

vision fm

Forgot them…personally I hope not.

3 Likes

I wonder why 104.3? Given the next station on the dial is 105.7 I would have thought with 0.8 spacing they’d have gone with 104.9 or even 104.1?

1 Like

Agree 104.3 is an odd choice.

Whilst there is 104.1 ABC Local Radio at Savage River, it’s probably far enough away from Hobart to not be an issue.

Given SEN only just launched on 1629, I can’t see them moving to FM so soon, my vote would be KIX Country.

1 Like

MMMM, maybe…1629 is off band and is only low power…104.3 would give them much better coverage and recognition…

2 Likes

I think a lot of us sports lovers would highly enjoy SEN on 104.3. Seems like though they are angling the frequency towards one of the more diverse narrowcasting types like Vision or KIX. Reckon the incumbent commercial broadcasters like SCA would kick up a protest if SEN got a sniff at it!

Sumo 104.3 has a nice ring to it…or 104.3 The Salmon…here’s another fresh catch!

3 Likes

I’m hooked!

2 Likes

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

4 Likes

I would argue however the incubates can’t complain too much, they have the opportunity to run anything they want on their DAB, and do. SCA has used Hobart as a dumping ground for poor audio quality/low bandwidth stations to (from what I understand) reduce royalties for their Listnr streams.

Legally would SEN even fit a ‘narrow cast’ service? I would argue a country format is not narrowcast, and I would argue that christian radio is well served buy Vision currently, Ultra 106.5 and (working from memory) the Faith network.

Do the ACMA only allocate on bid value or are other considerations taken into account?

1 Like

it has in markets like Brisbane AFAIK

1 Like