Take Me Out

It’s a risk; but nothing much else has been working for Seven. I think Joel will be the only one on the show who gets his satire :slight_smile:

Yes risky but Seven have revived dead Ten formats before (X Factor). You never know. They appear to be thinking All Together Now has more potential and are holding it for after The Block.

I really like the Take Me out format. Was basically the only show I watched when i was in the UK.

I feel they should have done this at least 18 months ago when people were still interested in If You Are the One on SBS 2 / Viceland to at least try and cash in on having an Australian version of an identical show from another country that had cult popularity at the time (now not so much).

Also ugh at Joel Creasey hosting it…

3 Likes

Seven have dropped the first episode on 7plus ahead of the traditional television premiere. What do you think?

1 Like

I think they should have waited so the show had maximum TV ratings. They should have only had teaser clips available on 7Plus.

3 Likes

I can’t see this helping the show; if anything it might detract for the overnights. People who might have sampled the first episode live now don’t have to.

3 Likes

Definitely but maybe they also thought it had no chance of winning over Block and best outcome would be to boost on demand audience to compliment whatever traditional rating comes through. Adds value to 7plus too given it’s exclusive content.

Being a fan of ‘If You Are The One’ (IYATO), thought I would watch the first ep to see how I would find it.

The big highlight for me is Joel Creasey who is the perfect host for this show. His interactions with both the ladies and the guys looking for a date make the show really entertaining (in much the same way Meng Fei makes IYATO what it is).

As to the negatives, there’s two major aspects of the show that really annoyed me:

1. Aside from interactions which occured as a result of Joel quizzing the ladies/single guys or making a remark after something they said - the contestants don’t directly interact with each other. One of the best aspects of IYATO is seeing the back-and-forth which sometimes happens as a result of something that’s said (either serious or amusing) and that lack of depth is really missing from ‘Take Me Out’ (TMO)
  2. This might not be the case in future eps but all four guys featured in the first ep were very similiar in terms of their appearance and personality (if I was to be brutal, they were type of guys who exclusively feature on dating shoes). As a result, the exact same outcome occurred for all four which became very predictable. By comparison, IYATO features a wide spectrum of guys (many who aren’t the ‘stereotypical dating show guy’) which often leads to outcomes occurring which you don’t expect
    ^ What makes the above point even more disappointing is TMO actually has a diverse range of ladies.

Overall, I found TMO to be as entertaining as IYATO to watch (mostly due to Joel). While I think this has the potential to do decently in the ratings (at least much better than Dance Boss) - it could alternatively be another victim in the deepening sinkhole that is Seven’s 2nd half schedule

2 Likes

Interesting review, I watched it agree with all your points.
Agree about similar type of guys…it needs some diversity
Joel’s personality/character can be over the top and polarisIng but is well suited to this program.

I think this version would be more suited to 8:30 however, while glossed over there was a reference to ‘water sports’ which I think is a bit much for family viewing.

1 Like

What are dating shoes?

Watching this now and really enjoying it. Joel is pefect IMO (But I’m a massive Joel Fan)

1 Like

Will check it out tonight or tomorrow.

Special types of shoes that you only wear on dates :wink:

I obviously meant to say ‘dating shows’

2 Likes

Definitely not slippers or uggies. Though they could become a thing

3 Likes

i dont actually mind this show:D i think i prefer this to if you are the one lol

iam guessing take me out was meant to be a one day a week show thats been turned into a twice weekly show?

Hold on you don’t have dating shoes?

2 Likes

I couldn’t get through it all. Not my thing and I didn’t find any of the characters overly likeable except Joel. The packages seemed excessively produced and full of tacky dialogue but I guess that’s the genre. Loved the set and some of the flirty 30. I also like that it doesn’t take itself so seriously and accepts it’s a tv show unlikely to result in fairytale romances. This is all about the fun and the flirting involved in getting to know someone. I think going into the back story of some of the women and explaining more about who they are and why they’re on the show could help but not sure there’s enough time for that unless it was stripped over several nights and included more rounds .

1 Like

Well, the women come back on multiple nights so I imagine you would get to know them.