Sydney vs Melbourne rivalry

As a Sydneysider who lived in Sydney for 30 years, and has been in Melbourne for the last 7…
Holy shit melbourne people the biggest pack of whingers on the planet.

Every day will start with how hot / cold they think it is - and everyone must agree with them or they are weird…

I have a fan on me going through winter because I find it too hot… but I don’t jump around like a dick complaining every 5 seconds about it…

and don’t get started on the useless drivers down here…

this place made me put both a forward and rear facing dash cam in my car…

I had an argument with my mother in law on the weekend - where I said -

1. The yellow light mean prepare to stop, not barrel through the intersection.
  2. If at any point you are in the intersection and the light has turned red, you have run the red light
  3. pilling your cars in the intersection just because you are turning is fucking dangerous…

I can’t wait to go back to Sydney…

The people I know in Melbourne are definitely not like that.

Sydney drivers aren’t that much better

Well off you go then

From my observations, many (not all, of course) Sydneysiders generally think it’s too hot/cold if the temperature is above or below that 20-25 degrees threshold.

I think Adeliade is better than Melbourne & Sydney :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You’re not fooling anyone here.

7 Likes

then proceeds to whinge for an entire post. Maybe you’re the bad driver - I’ve driven both cities, and they are both the same. Mad people in the city.

Every city has shit drivers - it’s by far the most common trope for anyone that lives in any part of the world to think that their home town or city has the worst drivers.

2 Likes

True - here in NSW, the drivers are more rude and careless than anything - a lot of people fail to indicate when turning or changing lanes (a pet hate of mine) and cut people off etc. And drive too fast.

In QLD where I have lived for a bit, I just found not much of the above, but QLD drivers would just do the most stupid things, like U turns in the middle of the road or park in really silly places.

Not sure about drivers from other states.

You probably saw me doing my driving test ;______;

2 Likes

In fairness, Sydney drivers tend to let drivers on Victorian number plates pull into the lane in front of them, where the inverse probably wouldn’t be true.

1 Like

Because they feel sorry for them? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

so how long have you driven in sydney to know that?

considering i’ve driven in both cities 6+ years I think I know who the better drivers are…

hell, in my work I used to look after the vehicles in our company…

out of 151 vehicles across the eastern states, 63% of all accidents in infringements were done by…melbourne drivers

yes sydney drivers are dicks on the road… but atleast they are actually courteous, and know how to let you merge on the road, and won’t try and cut you off…

melbourne drivers need lights to merge on a freeway - and still can’t get it right…

yea can’t leave melbourne - I have a couple of investment properties down here…

bad driver ?

well I’m not perfect - but if I can point out the road rules other people are breaking, it says alot about their driving…

EDIT - and yes I will whinge about melbounre people online - in a “Melbourne Vs Sydney” thread

its not as though I get to say anything to the melbourne work people shutting the fuck up about their daily whinge about “its raining” - “It’s too hot” - “its too cold” “its 29 today its sooo hot” blah blah blah

Nice contradiction there and did you know there is a thing called capital letters?

I know this has been brought up countless times in the past…

But Melbourne’s road network = :heavy_check_mark: & Sydney’s road network = :x:

Even though both cities are dealing with chronic congestion.

And I’ll admit that the Eastern Fwy & Metropolitan Ring Road do come to a sudden stop (need those extensions ASAP) :expressionless:

1 Like

I agree, the drivers in Melbourne are absolute PSYCHOS. I’ve been in Melbourne since Monday and it astounds me that a city with such a good road system can have such shit, aggressive drivers.

I have not seen indicators used properly once, and when I myself try and change lanes with more than three blinks of the indicator, the dickheads just accelerate to close the gap.

And the Victorian Government thinks that speeding is the problem? From what I’ve seen its just shit driving. Everyone does stick to the limit, but theres a WAY higher incidence of getting cut off and tailgated here.

And the shitheap junk cars that get around the city because of the lack of annual safety inspections…it’s great if you love classic cars, but my god I have seen many unroadworthy things getting around that are obvious death traps.

Those ramp merge signals are a good idea, but from what I’ve seen there’s a very low compliance rate.

I would hypothesise that because more people find it necessary to drive in Melbourne as opposed to taking the train or bus, you end up with a large number of people who just treat driving technique with complete disinterest and so just drive with zero courtesy.

And I realise that I might have a bias because I’m in unfamiliar territory, but I was in Brisbane last year and there were very few dramas. I firmly believe there’s a serious problem here with aggressive driving…at least on another level to back home in Sydney.

1 Like

As someone not from Australia I enjoyed Melbourne significantly more than Sydney when on holiday. With Melbourne I was actually like “I would love to live here”.

5 Likes

As a Melburnian it pains me to say this but you are right. Especially about the accelerating to close the gap.

I’ve never driven in other cities, except Canberra but does that count?? But i just assumed drivers were just like this everywhere.

2 Likes

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:79, topic:1721, full:true”]

As a Melburnian it pains me to say this but you are right. Especially about the accelerating to close the gap.

I’ve never driven in other cities, except Canberra but does that count?? But i just assumed drivers were just like this everywhere.
[/quote]Having lived in Melbourne for a good 5-6 years and having grown up in Tassie (mainly in the southern capital of course), I can say without a doubt that the drivers in both cities are completely nuts. I do have to wonder if some people think that a vehicles indicator is an unnecessary feature or something as most seemingly don’t know how to use it properly.

I really cannot comment on Sydney drivers as I haven’t lived there long enough to say either way. Adelaide drivers are pretty good the times I’ve stayed there however.

1 Like