Sydney vs Melbourne rivalry

From Fairfax:

Sydney is considered one of the best cities in the world, but the perception does not match up with the reality, according to a new study.

London was named the best perceived city in the world ahead of New York and Paris, in the global report that examines the perception of major cities versus the reality.

While Sydney came close to the top of the list at no.5 for “best perceived” cities, Australia’s largest city dropped to no.10 when it came to assessing what it is really like.

Read more: World's best-perceived cities versus the reality revealed in new PwC report

Not sure if this fits into the rivalry category but a number of nice things said about Sydney in coverage of the Invictus Games being awarded to the city for 2018.

And the winner is

In another big win for the harbour city, royal patron Prince Harry has announced the increasingly prestigious Invictus Games will be held here in 2018.

Prince Harry brings his Invictus Games to Sydney

Sydney has been announced as the next host city for Prince Harry’s Invictus Games, an international sporting event for injured veterans.

The prince and the games he founded will come to Sydney in October 2018, with events to be held around the harbour and Sydney Olympic Park.

As both are major news outlets based in and primarily focused on the Harbour City, it’s probably to be expected that The Daily Telegraph and The Sydney Morning Herald would say positive things about Sydney.

Anyway, I didn’t really know much about the Invictus Games before this coverage but I suppose the event will be a good thing for Sydney to have.

1 Like

It was reported Sydney beat a rival bid from Gold Coast (which will host the Commonwealth Games in the same year), Melbourne did not bid.

It actually started out as a Frankston to the Arts Centre course. It wasn’t until the 1990’s when the GP track was built that they moved to Albert Park, then in the last decade they moved again to the MCG precinct (not every year they’ve been able to finish in the G itself, 2014 a prime example due to resurfacing for the Cricket World Cup). It celebrates 40 years next year, there are 8 men who are aiming to go 40 finishes from 40 starts.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Public Transport

“The best Olympic Games ever!”

Please tell me that you’re not seriously arguing that Sydney is a better city than Melbourne just because of the Olympics (an event of that magnitude is something I actually think Sydney would spectacularly fail in successfully pulling off these days, but I digress) we held over 16 years ago now…

1 Like

1956?

5 Likes

OK, As someone who has spent time in both & has gone back Bush “Where I Belong BTW” If I had to live in a City it would be NEITHER…I’d live in BRISBANE, Cheapest to live in out of all the cities in OZ, Fuel is Cheaper, Food is Cheaper, Rent & House prices are half the price of either Sydney or Melbourne. but if you want me to pick out of the two I’d pick Sydney…It’s Bigger, it’s the financial capital of Australia Plus Sydney is our postcard to the world & has much better beaches than Melbourne…

3 Likes

No not Melbourne, I’m just quoting the IOC President at the time from the Closing Ceremony

Everything that you just said is laughable

What you just said was laughable.

Don’t they say that at every closing ceremony? :slight_smile:

Nope. Never been said since.

Your so cool

Granted, but it’s Brisbane

(Spot the southener in the room!)

Every single one except 1956 from memory :wink:

Right, Time to pull the Gloves Off & give the Southern Bear a good ol’ poke with a blunt stick :wink:

Music History, Sydney has the Famous Albert Productions & EMI’s Studio 301, The 2 studio’s where this countries greatest music was recorded.

The Arts, Sydney has Tropfest, NIDA, AFTRS & The Fox Studio complex at Moore Park.

Landmarks, Sydney has the World Famous Harbor Bridge & Opera House.

Beaches, There’s a string of great beaches stretching all the way from Palm Beach to Cronulla including 2 Australian Icons in Manly & Bondi Beach.

That will do for now, Now to wait for the Mexican’s to respond :wink:

1 Like

This is supposed to be “the arts”?

Why do you think being called Mexican would be offensive? What’s wrong with Mexico?

1 Like