Survivor (US)

I welcome longer episodes in line with the Australian version. So many times that there is a lot more happening with the voting that we don’t get to see and the vote at tribal doesn’t really match what had been seen. Or there is some reward or special event and we don’t get to see what happened afterwards with the return to camp.

I also feel there should be more episodes that have separate reward and immunity challenges.

1 Like

I’ve also got mixed feelings but agree some episodes this season have appeared rushed. A couple have also appeared drawn out. It’s weird but I haven’t noticed any issue with the 1hour episodes until the last couple of seasons. In early seasons the hour seemed perfect. Maybe better editing?

I also suspect that this move is also linked tot he writers strike - along with TAR - that’s one less hour of scripted TV that has to be written.

1 Like

Yeah I’m with you on that one. Particularly some of the more recent seasons that it feels like they have flown by. I think it’s due to the nature of the new game which is very advantage driven, so it’s felt like a lot more is crammed into the episodes and less of a chance to get to know the contestants. It differs season to season though. This is one season that feels like it’s been flying by since the merge.

1 Like

Survivor 44 Final

Thursday 25 May LIVE
10:00 am final episode
11:00 am 2 hour final/aftershow

Repeated 7:30 pm

1 Like

The penultimate ep last night was an example of one that could have done with more time given it had a reward and immunity challenge. And once again we don’t really know why the tribe voted out Jamie rather than Carolyn considering the discussion shown; I suppose CBS had to keep suspense for the end of the 42 minutes of broadcast time. Good speech by Carolyn to the jury “doesn’t mean that somebody can’t be strategic who is emotional”. Second week in a row an idol was used without effect; so I don’t think that there is a lot of strategy going on with this cast despite the talk of the ‘new’ era of Survivor.

Consolidated ratings for last week show overnights are around the 50k mark.:

1 Like

Survivor 45 was previewed at the end of the show today.

Well my hopes for a Tika Final 3 didn’t play out last night. I would have loved to see them all at the end. It seems like Carson would have won it if he made it to the end which is interesting.

Yam Yam was a good winner IMO - he and Carolyn were my faves the entire way through. I was disappointed that Carolyn didn’t get a single vote . She played a good game but it was hard for the jury to see past that with her quirky personality. Surely she’s someone that will be back again at some point.

The previews for each season seem the same now without the themes - there is not much they show us apart from introducing some contestants. I believe 45 only just wrapped up filming too. I really hope next season they at least shake up the 3 tribe format. We’ve had that for 4 seasons now. I would rather go back to two tribes with a tribe switch. I’m not a fan of the smaller tribes.

2 Likes

I was baffled that Jam Jam got so many votes. I thought it would have been a split decision with Carolyn. Overall disappointed, there didn’t seem to much game play, nearly all idols were wasted or played incorrectly.

I wonder if Nine might consider relinquishing the rights. The show really messes with 9Go’s ratings - lowest share of the year last night.

1 Like

I was a bit underwhelmed by this season. Too much crying lol. Perhaps that’s a reflection of the world we live in but geez people need to get a grip sometimes. It’s a game, you’re not there to cure cancer or world hunger. Yet people start blubbing about “how proud they are of themselves”… ugh.
I also think the game has introduced too many obscure advantages, it just confuses things. Wish they would get back to basics a bit. Also an observation, at tribals the players seemed awfully well dressed and made up. The women were even wearing make up and they all seemed to have their hair done…
Personally I think what would help is if they included some players who weren’t “superfans”. I think the game would flow a bit more naturally like it used to if there were people there who weren’t quite so obsessed with it.

I highly doubt that is the case. Carolyn for example has really dark hair (she just dyes it blonde) so she has very dark and prominent eyelashes that look like mascara. Otherwise you are probably confusing filtering/lighting in the edit with makeup.

1 Like

Perhaps. But they seemed a bit cleaner at least, including their clothes. Another friend who watches it also made the comment to me.

Seasons 42 and 43 of Survivor US have hit 10 Play.

Season 45 premieres on CBS on September 27. In Australia, it begins on 9GO! on Thursday night, September 28.

2 Likes

SURVIVOR 45

Thursday 28 September 7:30 PM - 90 minutes. 9Go!

A group of 18 contestants are brought to a deserted island and divided into different tribes as they face a series of physical and mental challenges against the other contestants in the hopes of winning the title of “Sole Survivor.”

1 Like

Welcoming @survivorcbs to the @NasdaqExchange Opening Bell. https://t.co/J02fcVsDlN

— Nasdaq Exchange (@NasdaqExchange) September 25, 2023

I suspect that producers would have disappointed in the end of the first episode of the new season last night with someone voluntarily leaving the game. Seems like poor casting choice in Hannah. Even with the extended time premiere we still seemed to be in the dark about exactly what happened with Brandon and that that he doesn’t remember making it back onto the barge plus the editing choice to not show the end of the Sweat vs. Savvy challenge.

1 Like

I thought it was a really good opening episode. It felt a bit more old school casting and tribal dynamics. We also haven’t had a quitter like that for a very long time.

Jeff has revealed that there was another twist that they completely edited out of the episode due to the no vote. Apparently the winning tribe got to send someone to the losing tribe beach before Tribal Council and that person got to cast a valid vote before Tribal. It sounds like we might see that twist play out in future eps.

https://parade.com/tv/survivor-45-twist-jeff-probst-podcast

1 Like

At one stage I thought both Hannah and Brandon were going to quit. I think they need to re-think some of the casting. To have two players crying and struggling on day 1 is pretty poor. Actually there was just so much crying, it kind of spoils it. Hopefully things pick up.

2 Likes