Supermarkets and Retail

My local Aldi opened two months ago on 1 August, and they had the old logo on massive signs on the exterior of the shopping centre and this fancy looking backlit sign on the front of the store.

Literally two weeks later, they replaced these signs all over the shopping centre with the new logo. What a waste!

13 Likes

AFAIK there’s one left in Canberra, at Belconnen. Surprised it hasn’t changed yet given it’s just some backlit panels, and the side entrance has the new logo. This is the best photo I could find online:

Aside from this, I think the one at Woden was the last one to change over, sometime in the last month or so:

Edit: The Kambah store may still have the old logo. I’ll have to check it out.

5 Likes

Kerang new front end replacing the the old dark green front end they have had since the 90s

And some older style elements of the same store

4 Likes

Can’t believe those early 90s era aisle signs have survived this long. Guess they won’t have much time left now!

2 Likes

My local Big W is set to rebrand to the new logo, last time I was there (Wednesday) all the signage inside the store was taken down

3 Likes

Speaking of Big W, their crappy relaunch ad came on the other night - pretty sure the “employee” narrating it has the old Big W logo on her shirt…

Wow, that is ancient!

2 Likes

Also on the shopping bag

8 Likes

Interesting. Weird the side entrance has been updated to the newer design but the front panels hadn’t been replaced.

I think the store near where I live was the last one to be rollout to the new look as all the others I’ve seen or been around the city updated years ago.

Epping Road in Sydney (I think it’s officially known as the Marsfield store) still had the old branding when I drove past a few months ago. From memory it was updated inside several years ago and the petrol station attached to the side has all the new branding but apparently they couldn’t be bothered doing the big signage at the same time.

I always figured they were waiting to redevelop the site but nothing has ever been lodged with the council and it’s been close to ten years already. The store inside the Macquarie Centre was also late to get updated (funnily enough it happened right around the time that Coles and Aldi opened up in the centre).

1 Like

Yep it is ancient I posted this sometime last year but for those who did not see it this was the old front end that got replaced last week. It is kind of sad it got replaced as the new modern design front end looks so out of place and really does not match the design of the rest of the store at all

https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22089197_10207846016667882_8079292341641845535_n.jpg?oh=a57a726cfea4801f6e571f1405c6a1f9&oe=5A4694DB
https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22195526_10207846017867912_3498457901357792963_n.jpg?oh=715f9c41c2670655cdd710f037e7c3b6&oe=5A3C5F02
https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22195658_10207846018307923_2356790266900608161_n.jpg?oh=04d6086e1aa26817fb847d61139180a4&oe=5A4288DE

4 Likes

I drive past that place fairly regularly (maybe twice a month?) and never noted that it still had the old branding (even though it seems like the kind of thing I’d notice), but I think that’s true - it’s still got the old branding. I know the petrol station adjoining it has the new branding.

I tried to look for recent photos of Woolworths Marsfield, and the funniest thing is that when you look for “Woolworths Marsfield” in Facebook photo search, a huge proportion of the photos are of cars parked badly and/or crashed into the front of the shop.

4 Likes

can tell its ancient when it says “Colour Film”

7 Likes

i was in my local BIG W the other day and saw they still had an onsite minilab for film.

you have to say it as filum

5 Likes

I’ve got a hunch disposable film cameras are still reasonable popular. I don’t think many film entusiasts would take their film to Big W.

Instant film cameras are incredibly popular these days, actually. Bring one to a party and you’ll get swamped with people asking for a photo.

Actually, this is wrong. I drove past Woolies Marsfield this morning and it had the new signage on the roof.

1 Like

The first Kaufland store to open will be on the Le Cornu site in Forestville.

3 Likes

Ugly logo and branding

Going to be tough for them to build scale with next to no prime retail land left. Wow/Coles will probaly buy land and open unprofitable stores just to block them. Opening near Airports, Geelong/Gold Coast is a hard way of cracking this market.

They won’t be any sort of threat/nuisance to Wow/Wes for at least 10 years once they get past the red tape and start opening more stores

Amazon is the next issue on the horizon for the big boxes to face. Expect to see serious investment in the online space from all majors over the next 12 months. Myer/JB/Bigw/Target better get there sites ready because they are absolutely shit.

1 Like

No chance of Woolies doing this any more, they literally cannot afford to do so - thus the (very quiet) rounds of store closures in the last 12 - 18 months - not to mention that they spun off and divested their shopping centre division some time ago which was a big part of this activity in the past when it came to blocking the competition (many of these centres that Woolies once owned have had Coles or Aldi open in them since). Coles I could still see taking this sort of action but gone are the days of the last decade where both businesses had a massive warchest for this sort of anti-competitive action.

I think the real question here is will a Hypermarket concept even work in Australia? Neither Woolies or Wesfarmers have had any interest in testing such a format, and nobody has really tried since the Super Kmart days…

1 Like