Supermarkets and Retail

Beaurepaires is set to close 100 stores, resulting in 700 employees losing their jobs after an attempt by parent company Goodyear Dunlop failed to sell the business to Bob Jane.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/700-jobs-100-stores-to-go-as-tyre-retailer-folds/news-story/f154c0e31e44b4df0e99e0549690e940?amp

That will be disappointing if Goodyear Dunlop can’t find a buyer for Beaurepaires. An all-time record of 1.21 million vehicles were sold in Australia last year. More cars on the roads should mean more demand for tyres.

There are a lot of smaller operators who are being very competitive and providing good service at a cheaper price.

2 Likes

I was shopping at Coles after work today and saw a new Coles Simply salted butter 500g pack on sale for $6.40. It is made in New Zealand.

Next to it is Coles Salted Butter which costs $6.90 and is made in Australia.

Considering both have identical ingredients, and the cost of transporting goods across the ditch, I thought Coles Simply would have cost a bit more than the locally made Coles salted butter.

‘Honey, do you want Salted or Simply Salted?’

Yeah, 50 cents worth of extra salt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The reverse situation occurs in NZ for the same reason (though checking right now, neither New World/Woolworths NZ stock Australian butter) - see this Stuff article.

Basically both countries have export focused dairy industries - all the operations are set up to make for export markets, so that chain is the better optimised and more profitable for producers.

There’s an element of Coles/Woolworths using those imports to try and force local prices down - but given how much they can sell Aussie butter for overseas, it’s probably not business they need.

1 Like

The price you pay as a customer doesn’t necessarily reflect the cost of the product. Being Australian made makes something a premium product these days, if Coles knows they can charge more for that then they will.

Holy shit, butter for $7. I haven’t been home in over two years, inflation is no joke eh?

Bet you all wish Morrison was still PM!!!

2 Likes

Why would we wish Morrison was still PM when it was his Government policy that caused this run away inflation.

2 Likes

Morley Galleria, the only place you’ll see the 1980s-1990s Greater Union logo in current usage :sunglasses::popcorn::film_strip:

3 Likes

On a temporary banner too? Are they doing reno’s?

1 Like

Didn’t go upstairs, though from what I could see, Greater Union appeared to look the same, not sure if that’s the case for Myer :thinking:

1 Like

Sarcasm

Here’s the latest development in the suss price rises and discounting by our supermarkets who are currently under scrutiny for their price gouging. Back in December, I reported how chocolate bars jumped from $2 to $2.50. Now, two months later in the next Woolworths catalogue they are being heavily discounted from $2.50 back down to $1 and again promoted as “better than half price”. No wonder everyone is suss about their shonky price rises.

2 Likes

I miss those old commercials from the 90s and early-00s they were always fun.

On a temporary banner too? Are they doing reno’s?

They plan on renovating a good half of the centre within a few months or so. The temp banner is probably there because almost every store on the second floor is closed down for the redevelopment. The photos they showed privately still use the Greater Union logo so I wonder how long they’ll keep that branding. I think it might be one of, if not the only Event left named Greater Union.

1 Like

I take it that they used the mid 2000s-present logo for those?
greater+union

Sans the star/filmstrip symbol, which I felt they should have kept:

While their own packaging on the popcorn and drinks were phased out a few years ago, the employee polo shirts and Facebook page still use the present logo.

Definitely appears to be the case!

super cool i remember the filmstrip with the star of greater union like westfield tuggreah central coast in 2011

1 Like