Supermarkets and Retail

1kg Coon/Cheer is still $15 I’ve been awaiting for that to drop for a while.

Meanwhile Chobani has gone up again. It was $2.15 ‘price dropped’ at Woolworths. Now it’s $2.70.

I really do feel like I’m spending a shitload every week at WowColes. Two bags of groceries seem to be about $100 these days.

1 Like

This enquiry into supermarkets that has been announced needs to look at these constant yo-yo pricing games that they play.

1 Like

The 12 pack of mini 330ml bottles of Coke products were recently selling on offer for 2 for $13.00.

Last week in both Coles and Woolies they were 1 for $19.50!

The price of Pepsi Max is equally baffling. The 30 pack constantly sells at $26 and when it is on special drops to $23.

However, the 24 pack retails at an inflated price of $34.85 but when it’s on special it’s $19.90.

2 Likes

From my understanding Costco Docklands (Australia’s first Costco) was never meant to be long term. Costco are looking to reposition their stores to the suburbs. Two stores are meant to be opening up in Geelong and Sunshine soon.

Any way that they can make it Dan’s Fault™, then they will try it.

1 Like

That strategy makes a lot of sense to me as I live in inner west Sydney and the closest store is at least a 30 minute drive away so I wouldn’t bother going there unless they had something particularly appealing. I’m only one person so their bulk buys aren’t useful for me.

More majors closing at Pacific Werribee. I recall Target just reopened after being closed for a year. Wonder who is getting the bill to fix all these construction blunders.

Myer will be closed for most of this year, with that area expected to reopen November.

Hadn’t notice this before but Westpac and St George have been co-locating their branches. Apparently it’s been happening for a while. In October 2023 the St George branch at Rockdale closed and has now moved into the refurbished Westpac branch.

This also happened a few months ago in nearby Kogarah where the Westpac branch closed and is now with the St George branch on the ground floor of the St George Bank headquarters, which now also has Westpac office space.

2 Likes

They’ve started doing the same in SA with BankSA and Westpac branches.

2 Likes

Yes it’s happened in Lane Cove as well.

The main one in Adelaide just became a Supermarket… with the upstairs floors left abandoned.

Costco released a statement this morning, confirming it would close the Docklands store and relocate it to Ardeer in Melbourne’s west. It said the new store would better serve its members in the region.

Oh great! Let’s go to Ardeer and end up in hospital.

Last nights news reports from Seven and Nine on the Docklands store closure. Which is due to close in August according to employees but no offical word.

https://x.com/9newsmelb/status/1744982100028137531?s=61&t=hY2oQFlqnFcoVAVyWK_18g

https://x.com/7newsmelbourne/status/1744985219785240849?s=61&t=hY2oQFlqnFcoVAVyWK_18g

Wonder what will replace the site though? It’s such a huge space to fill. An IKEA would be great there I feel, along with the Swedish Meatballs for dinner. It’ll be closer than Richmond for those who live on the other side of the Yarra.

Corio could still get Costco as do IKEA, Given that area’s Low Income Population, People will need those Jobs there.

Amazed that Geelong does not have a Costco. Population down that way including local surf coast and so on, is huge. No idea where it would go, I remember years back en route to Surf Coast, we stopped at Waurn Ponds Shopping Mall, next it was huge fields just empty.

I came to this thread this afternoon and was expecting an avalanche of posts about Woolworth’s decision to not sell Australia Day merchandise but……instead silence………crickets.

1 Like

The cheapest way to buy Chobani is those 680g ones on special or those 907g ones

But yes Chobani is odd I remember they used to sell them for $1 half price those little tubs.

I bought 36 cans of Coke Classic from Amazon for $29 so that seemed cheap.

Also those big blocks of Cadbury are $7 now ! but still $6 at Big W … i guess you could use your Everyday Rewards Extra to get it even cheaper . $4 -4.50 on special for the 180 g ?

aren’t you in for a treat… :wink:

it’s been brewing for almost 24 hours right here… Australia Day - #333 by JohnsonTV

1 Like

I hope so.

One week it’s
LOW PRICE then
Price is hiked then
PRICE DROPPED then
Price is hiked then
1/2 PRICE then
LOW PRICE then
MEMBER ONLY PRICE
The cycle then just rolls on.

Yoghurts, Soft Drinks are the main offenders with that rubbish above.

Would be interesting to see the tactics at play with suppliers also, generally they are the ones funding those above promotions.

This inquiry will go nowhere as suppliers will never throw the supers under the bus or expose the funding/promo deals that occur behind the scenes. The supers will just cite increased costs increased costs and increased costs. Expect every excuse under the sun. Shareholders to please also, they will say are not recording profit and revenue reductions because ‘it’s the right thing to do by Australians’.

2 Likes