Supermarkets and Retail

F**k customers. Make your staff happy, you’ll get more customers by ensuring better service meaning they’ll come back.

1 Like

At a time when most things are readily purchasable online and delivered rapidly - giving your potential customer base the middle finger is not the best approach.

These centres exist to attract and service customers and things like it being difficult to find a park have a significant impact on their decisions to shop at a particular location or not.

6 Likes

And you wonder why some companies can’t find people to work for them. They get treated like shit.

I’m sorry, but you and the shopping centre rip-off merchants are wrong. It’s time to actually treat workers with a little more respect. And it starts with little things - like not charging staff to park.

3 Likes

Good. A few less cars on the road!

Westfield Doncaster I think does that. Though it’s a long time since I’ve been there so it might have changed.

Because p***ing off paying customers is the best way to boost patronage?

Paying for parking is not exactly unheard of for commuters or workers.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were appointed the arbiter of what’s right and wrong. I bow to your greatness

2 Likes

I do agree that happy staff do add to the customer experience, but customers need to be looked after too.

3 hours free is pretty generous. I’m used to similar policies but with a retailer spend requirement to get it.

The impact on customers should be fairly low with that threshold - which makes me wonder why they think it’s worth the investment - unless there’s a big issue with people staying all day and using it as parking for nearby workplaces or similar.

As for the costs for staff - if it were up to me, casual staff in general should get something akin to a “flagfall” - a fixed addon to every shift regardless of length, to cover the costs of getting there, part/full timers have more certainty to plan using public transport routes, meaning it’s a spot where paid parking as a disincentive to private vehicles makes more sense.

I think that is part of it - particularly in CBD locations where some executive office workers might be happy to pay $20 a day, but not the $70+ that most CBD parking stations charge.

I’m amazed there are still Westfield centres with free parking.

Absolutely. 2-3 hours free followed by steep escalation ($35 for 6+ hours!) demonstrates the intent - shopper turnover, and discouraging nearby workers from taking those spaces all day.

People who work in centre can generally access a pretty competitive staff rate, but may be limited in where they park.

I remember going to Westfield Marion (Adelaide), the largest suburban shopping centre in Adelaide in 2019, and being amazed that it was free parking!

1 Like

Do we know how much additional parking is being added to Knox? I’ve noticed how it can be an easy addition for Westfield to not dedicate so much space for parking (A large Booragoon development in Perth will only see an additional 100 bays or so).
Either way this isn’t much beyond a slight inconvenience for customers. I can’t imagine spending more than 3 hours in the same centre. Staff is completely different, and it still doesn’t sit right with me, whether it be the norm or not. Could be worse though as people have pointed out.

1 Like

hospitals can be, but i would recommend looking at concessional parking policies.

I’m at the queensland childrens hospital and with my youngest and we pay $12 per 24 hours due to concessional parking - as opposed to $35 a day (the normal rate)

2 Likes

Seems to be brought on by some women on social media going on like it’s some fantastic shop . It’s just a discount department store .

Woolworths Rewards Extra . I shop online but had to go instore to get my free item. I went to the quick checkouts 10 items or less. The young girl scanned it and then i scanned my phone with my rewards card. It came up as zero dollars and she was confused and said “i could have it anyway” … had to explain it was part of the loyalty scheme.

Have to make a short trip once a month to walk into the store upstairs once a month to get 1 free item and not have had it put in my online order.

Also why is Coles website for online shopping always glitching whenever i use it . Used it Thursday night last week similar problems.

As well as slow loading then it works then it came up with a “sorry we’re having issues try again later” then a 503 error .

Never had issues with the old site. Tried my phone app and it wouldn’t load so it’s not my devices . Woolies was fine.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I wish I was the arbiter of right and wrong, otherwise known as a dictator. There would be 5 television networks taken off air by means of a well timed bomb. :laughing:

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but really, give the little people a break here. Don’t charge them for parking. That’s all.

A business is a business and unfortunately costs are always going to go to the consumer . I pay for parking it’s not really a new thing so why is everyone chucking a sad about it ? If you can get your shopping done within the free 2 hour limit then you have nothing to complain about . If you are really that bad you can’t get that shoppping done in that free parking window then. I question your ability to manage your time efficiently.

Why shouldn’t workers pay for parking ? It’s not a new thing I am sure they most car parks for works here in WA are paid especially at places like the Galleria .

Sorry but you can’t get free things , if workers are they concerned how bout your get off your daddy’s car trunk and bike it to work or catch a bus ?

1 Like

I have to pay a train fare to get to/from work. Nobody gives me that for free. If i chose to drive/park in the cbd for work, apart from the fact it would be madness, that definitely would not be free! I don’t feel particularly sad for retail staff that might have to pay parking.

3 Likes

Suggest the Coles feedback page is the most appropriate outlet for you

2 Likes

Thanks. Found the live chat it says on the box "Attention The Coles website is currently experiencing technical difficulties for which our teams are working hard to resolve. Please try accessing our website again shortly. We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.’

I’m not rich, never was. My dad is worringly close to dementia, I have the sneaking suspicion I’ll have to quit my job and support mum to support dad.

I just see the bullshit that these corporate giants put on and am calling them out on it. I can see a lot of sympathy for them here, because that what it is and to be honest, I think someone people have been bumped on the head as babies to believe it. And I bet you all think the same of me, so we’re even.

I just think its time people got a little more credit and assistance to, you know, live their lives a little more comfortably. It makes a hell of a lot of difference.

2 Likes

I wasn’t addressing you specifically . I was talking general terms