Supermarkets and Retail

I was hoping the replacement would be something better than Harbourside but from the photos I’ve seen, the buildings don’t look very inspiring. They had an opportunity to build something architecturally amazing in a prime Sydney tourist precinct but it looks like we’re just going to get bland shops and apartments that people will want to pull down again in 50 years. The same thing happened with the demolition of the Exhibition Centre and the rather bland replacement ICC - International Convention Centre.

2 Likes

It won’t. It’s Sydney. It never will be worth the wait.

2 Likes

I don’t think that looks too bad to start with … the challenge will be to keep it fresh as the years go by, but will be harder to do with apartments on top of it.

Sydney is still pretty good compared to most places in the world. Not perfect of course, but no place is.

Sydney is run by property developers. F**k property developers.

1 Like

A new Coles Local opened at Toorak Village in Melbourne this week.

1 Like

Totally agree Sydney is a must not see dardtinstion unless you wanna be a bogan :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Plus it has the racist feel to it .

My bedroom is the perfect place and out rates Sydney in every single way.

Everything about Sydney rubs me up the wrong way especially the design and those stupid two story trains who the fuck designed those things ?

1 Like

Those two story trains have those stupid folding seats also. Give me a vline vlocity any day.

What I hate about those Sydney trains is the airport surcharge rorts should one want to stop at a station. I would just walk to Mascot station, not sure if they have closed that savings loophole.

Thank you corrupt state governments sucking up to developer and corporate mates.

Thats why we have tolls going left right and centre, and why we pay ro simply get to the airport.

Yeah, those train fares to either Sydney airport stop is pretty steep!

At about $18 for a 7 km ride from Central, it’s about 3 times the cost of the ride to Newcastle (165km), which about 24 times further away.

But I think the Brisbane Airtrain is similarly expensive.

Walking from Mascot with luggage is a bit too far for most to be an attractive alternative.

For your kind of $$ they want for using the Sydney Airport trains, I’d expect the same service as the Heathrow Express, which is actually still cheaper vs all our airport trains. At least the Heathrow Express trains are all clean, top notch. Sydney trains all scratched windows, half wiped off graffiti, filth, plastic seats. Welcome to Sydney.

1 Like

Anything involved with the airport is a rip-off.

And the new Western Sydney airport, even more so. Trust me.

All the retail places will charge an arm and a leg because they can.

its because the fares from BNE are not subsided like the rest of the network (thanks to private ownership of that spur) so passengers pay the full cost of transporting them

2 Likes

Was doing my weekly searching and found that big w blacktown has again updates its store second time in two years. Looks pretty spick

9 Likes

The Big W in Town Hall, which opened last year, also has the same look although a lot smaller. Probably a current look for their stores, which I’ve noticed a lot more recently.

1 Like

The Big W at Blacktown is my regular and it does the job.

Preferring Big W to Kmart recently.

2 Likes

Is there really any difference between the two? Don’t they mostly sell the same low cost brands like Anko?

Quite a bit. Big W has a fairly wide range of name brands, plus categories Kmart no longer has (grocery, gaming come to mind)

3 Likes

Pretty much.

Big W has its house brands, but I want those name brands because I know what they’re like. Anko could come from any number of Asian factories and change without you knowing.

Agree, I would rather pay extra for say Bonds underwear vs the Anko brand.

Same reason why I don’t do my grocery shopping at Aldi.

2 Likes