Supermarkets and Retail

Market Square Geelong’s Woes Continue: https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=GAWEB_MRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geelongadvertiser.com.au%2Fbusiness%2Fgeelong-business%2Fgeelongs-market-square-shopping-centre-plagued-by-store-vacancies%2Fnews-story%2Fcebb38e9fdf6038f5705e2801ff12e86&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

Doesn’t come as a surprise, last time I saw it in 2014 Cotton On & its various brands made up about half of the centre. When they exited it was always going to be a mammoth struggle to try and fill all that space.

Not sure what can be done to save Market Square? Lure more businesses to Geelong → more foot traffic?

You’ll be equally as thrilled to know that some stores will be putting out WINTER apparel as soon as it arrives in store! We’ve already got a few winter items out for sale!!

2 Likes

Westfield does fine across the road, it’s just all the retailers want to be over there. The only things left in Market Square are discount retailers, not worried by the cheap image the centre has, leaving it in a death spiral. If JB goes I think that’s it for them.

I can only think that if somehow they convince Woolworths or Aldi to come into some of the space, it might be enough foot traffic to bring back some other retailers and spend something on modernising it.

1 Like

Yes, I already received an email earlier this week for “new season” stock in store from one of my favourite retailers. :snowflake: :snowman:

According to the Geelong Advertiser: City of Greater Geelong planning & economy director Gareth Smith said a draft master plan for the area would go out for Public Consultation in the middle of the year.

Yeah, they have just opened one in Shoalhaven Heads. Also the friendly grocer is just like that, same tickets and price tags.

1 Like

A another supermarket would be their best best for sure, although you have to wonder whether Geelong needs two malls next to each other, with the suburbs growing all the time. That space would be a valuable apartment location.

1 Like

Might be redeveloped into apartments with retail space underneath. That’s happening a lot now.

Myer could downsize in Westield to 1 floor, JB and Best/Less could take up that floor plus others. However likely that those remaining tenants have long leases left.

It appears the Market Square Mall is Singapore owned. Explains the communication issue the city seems to be having with the mall. They will still be making significant income from the car park, and the major tenants who remain.

So Coles didn’t supply 2 red capsicums in my click and collect order. It’s only $5.57.

If this was Woolies I’d go online speak to Olive and it will auto refund me pretty fast.

With Coles I have to google their contact details then either ring a 1800 number , email them or text them (I chose text ) and wait.

1 Like

Heard a radio ad this morning that Myer Frankston would close this Sunday (January 15). The store is now holding a clearance sale with heavy discounts.

1 Like

I’ve done it before and it’s been automated? I think through the phone.

1 Like

I got a response via text 30mins later they creditedit but off my next order.

1 Like

Coles is usually pretty responsive for the most part.

1 Like

Target closing more stores? Came across a Facebook post regional NSW stores are being closed in some areas. I assume these are bigger target country sort of store?

Target haven’t finished closing stores by a long chalk.

Edit: clarification

2 Likes

Coles2 (at Knox) now has signs up confirming its closing on 29 Jan

Is that the old tacky one not the one that used to be a Bilo?
They only kept in the centre so to keep their competitors out. Such behaviour should not be allowed.