Supermarkets and Retail

The Coles store that is closing at Knox is the one which used to be a Bi-Lo. I’d say it is due to the end of lease.

I was at Westfield Knox this afternoon to see the redevelopment. The ground floor of the former Myer has done a complete transformation into a fresh food precinct and a food court with a small courtyard. The lighting is similar to that at The Glen shopping centre.

I also notice that Woolworths at Knox has introduced electronic price tags.

1 Like

We could have walked past each other in Woolies!

I noticed today that a lot of the “cut throughs” to the next level were all covered over.

I assume it will let in some more natural light.

This behaviour from the big two is largely coming to an end, as it’s deemed too costly as leases expire.

2 Likes

An end of an era today for locals in Frankston in Victoria with the end of the Myer store there after 50 years. Over in Queensland, it is also an end of era today for David Jones in Mt Gravatt. At Myer, I can see 5 more stores closing down in rural towns around Australia and at David Jones, still hopeful of not only downsizing of existing stores, but one day more new stores open up around Australia.

2 Likes

But why? It’s highly unlikely with more and more Department Stores shutting down all over the world. Online shopping is killing them. There may still be a place for them in city centres or large regional centres but I’d say there is zero chance of them opening new stores.

USA is the heaviest impacted in these circumstances.

Whole shopping malls are shutting down and laying vacant in the US. They don’t seem to have supermarkets and discount department stores as anchors in their shopping centres like we do in Australia. Once the department stores shut their doors, the other shops in the centre are heavily impacted due to less foot traffic and ultimately shut down too.

1 Like

It’s just going to be retailers working out the critical mass of store locations - if you scale down to just having 1 or 2 stores in a state, that will fail because the logistics just don’t have enough scale, you may as well just go online at that point.

So I think you’ll see closures and openings as part of that, as retailers find profitable locations.

1 Like

From Old Shops Australia on Facebook.
An empty MYER in Frankston.

3 Likes

I think its going to be a struggle. Myer and DJ’s are pricey and with the cost of living starting to bite, people will cut back on luxuries and things like CK trunks are a luxury when they retail a 3 pack for $60.

When the ecconomy depresses places like Kmart and do well as people tighten there belts

1 Like

I don’t understand why people buy these when a 5 pack of Bonds briefs is only $25. I don’t want to know or see what undies people wear.

3 Likes

I buy CKs but when there on special I would never pay full price for them. They do last well.

1 Like

An article on Myer Frankston’s last day of trade yesterday.

2 Likes

They would want to be the most comfortable undies ever for $60 sheeeeeeeesh

I used to get my underwear from Big W - they were $11 for a pack of 7 for many years, but they were gradually raised to $15 before they were deleted.

I haven’t had to buy a new pack of underwear for a while (33 pairs! used to have close to 90 lol).

1 Like

Undie fetish? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 pack for $60 is cheap if you consider Aussiebum and the like. You’ll pay that for one pair. (Luckily they do often have crazy good sales).

1 Like

Consider though with 90 pairs, if you also wore them inside out and back to front and then inside out/ back to front, you’d only need to wash once a year! :grinning:

“drop and lock”, after increasing the prices in 2022.:roll_eyes:

OTR has struck an agreement with Chevron/Caltex USA to take over the retail operations of the Northern Territory PUMA stations, the stations will be branded as ‘OTR Caltex’

1 Like