Supermarkets and Retail

Most retailers do it but yes i understand that they should not. I had a very bad experience from House whereby I had to fight them to be able to return an item I brought online without being charged $15 to return said item through Australia Post. There is a House store 5 minutes drive away which refused to take my return. The Government should not allow such behaviour from retailers.

As much as I love this, all the fuel stations and supermarkets are guilty on giving up the format within a couple of months. They continue to not listen to demand.

1 Like

They won’t accept that ready meals / grab and go just aren’t popular in the Australian marketplace compared to other parts of the world like the UK.

1 Like

That same space could’ve easily been used by Ampol’s Fast Food partners interestingly enough (e.g Guzman Y Gomez or Hungry Jacks).

Nightowl adding Caltex/Chevron to their collection of Petrol Stations alongside their existing Shell and BP co-branded outlets. This particular Caltex/Nightowl outlet in Labrador, Qld also accepts the RACQ 4c discounts.

Picture Source: Nightowl

1 Like

I’m hearing OTR is gearing up for expansion into NSW next year - they’re in the process of seeking development consent for at least one facility (in Wellington)

OTR iirc took over a Shell/Coles petrol station in Lane Cove a few years ago and now operates that station under the ‘Shell/Store24’ co-branding.

It wouldn’t be surprising if they’ve been quietly building a portfolio of site already to rebrand in the future

Townsville no longer has a Target store. Willows shut down in June and Castletown last year. Weird that they opened a store in Cairns but have none in Townsville with a population of 180,000.

Early 1990’s to be exact 1991 was when it switched from Coles New World to Coles

Coles New World rolls off the tongue better.

Townsville seems to be Woolworths dominated, BIGW has 3 stores in Townsville which I found quite surprising. In Cairns it’s the reverse being Wesfarmers dominated, they only have 1 BIGW.

Truth be told apart from the extension to include the cinemas in the 90s the centre really hasn’t changed too much since then.

1 Like

Looks like some upgrades are underway just now.

Sad day for Harbourside shopping centre at Darling Harbour which closes today.

Harbourside was an iconic building from 1988. The new development is very uninspiring.

2 Likes

Sad for two reasons: they couldn’t wait until after Christmas to close, and that Harbourside was a key part of the redevelopment of Darling Harbour in the 1980s.

That doesn’t really matter so much since a lot of the shops, restaurants and cafes had shut. I visited earlier in the year and it was already starting to look like a ghost town. Most of the takeaways in the food court never reopened after the second lockdown. Also, I think management had not been renewing leases and a lot of businesses were shutting early as foot traffic had slowed down so much.

Harbourside has always been a ghost town, but man, will I genuinely miss it.

I remember our family day trips from Bathurst as a kid. We would park underneath the Hotels and walk over the pedestrian bridge. I would always find myself fascinated with the skyline and how tall the skyscrapers were looking through the glass roof. I would always get ideas for my LEGO city when we got back home later that night.

Good times.

5 Likes

Coles’ new Highpoint store that is set to open very shortly. Taking up part of the old Target store.

Source-

4 Likes

Opens this Friday.

1 Like