Supermarkets and Retail

Made worse in locations where they replaced a Bi-Lo with a Coles branded store. They tried to convince customers the prices hadn’t changed with massive price promise signage - but I think they didn’t succeed, and lost a lot of those customers to Aldi when they started.

1 Like

Australian owned and made. So we should always buy quilton.

4 Likes

Whatever happened to Jewel Food stores and Jewel Supa Barn?

1 Like

Jewel Food Stores (better known simply as Jewel) is now owned by Metcash and operates as IGA.

2 Likes

There was a large format Jewel in Geelong. Got burnt to the ground and turned into a Dans.

When was this

Was in the late 90s. I will try and find a photo somewhere. Was rebuilt into a dans under the new Woolies ownership in 99 or 00

Is this the Belmont one?

Was trying to figure out which store that was as that didn’t sound right for any of the Dan Murphy’s stores I was thinking of. Was easy to find out though, as despite presumably it shutting down as a “Jewel” long ago, there’s a Yelp page for it, which makes me assume they must have been feeding in really old yellow pages or something?

Ah I see, Pako street. I never went to that area when I was younger.

Yes sorry Geelong West.

the problems with target started when they went down market, offering no market differentiation between target and kmart.

it used to be that Kmart was the bottom of barrel for cheap and nasty stuff, than you would have Target as the next level up, than your myer / grace bros.

they brought target down market whilst keeping the prices higher. there was no spce for them in the market.

they need to go back to the space between k-mart and myer if only for market differetiation

Well people don’t go elsewhere because like Coles and Woolworths + Aldi they are the one’s price gouging.

Nothing wrong with going to the shops or being outdoors. Once this hoax is over the better. Just because it isn’t a necessity for “you” it may be for “others”

1 Like

Yeah, total hoax.

4 Likes

In my area we have Coles and ex-Bi Lo Coles just a quick walk apart from each other. Madness but admittedly the ex-Bi Lo has a bigger car park and usually less customers than the “main” Coles even in peak times, so I tend to go there.

1 Like

Hoax? Time to quietly leave. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

You can’t convince me the 70s were real.

7 Likes

To be fair, they only just introduced colour in 1975, so they would have taken a while to get used to it.

7 Likes

Geez, I think I’d need to wear sunglasses in that shopping centre!

Looks like it’s made with Lego :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like