Supermarkets and Retail

It’s about to get a long overdue refurb (and downsizing, interestingly enough) as part of the Forrest Chase redevelopment

3 Likes

About time I say.
I reckon they will get rid of the restaurant and top floor where all the sales crap and apple stuff are .

Just shopped at my local Coles supermarket and they’ve introduced mini tv screens with cameras at each of their self serve check outs. How long has this been a thing?

That’s taking it to the next level.

1 Like

I saw those installed in one supermarket in Sydney early in the new year. They’re spying on customers.

Yesterday at Woolies in the city, they busted someone who wasn’t scanning all yhe products they had put in their shopping. The security guards swooped on him including one undercover one that often patrols it. The police had also been called in. Saw this happen to a couple last month too who pretended they did nothing wrong but the security guards had swarmed in.

My local woolworths has (re-)introduced weight checking to the self-serves.

1 Like

Maybe they have to but I find the process slows you down and if you have more than ten items you have to call over a supervisor almost every time.

It never works properly at Coles. Maybe Woolworths has solved the problems?

It seems to work fine, just takes a second or so to register an item. Somehow manages to detect light items (like their own bags) well.

It has some weird restrictions which cause problems. If you have too many of the same item, it needs the supervisor to scan their pass and confirm.

Haven’t had any issues with self serve at coles or woolies since single use plastic bags were removed.

1 Like

Occasionally, I have troubles with the weight based system they use (at Coles).

Though it’s still annoying when it happens.

1 Like

Went back to Rockdale Woolies tonight which has these new screens and weight-checking scanners. Half of them were out of order tonight. Oh-oh! The queue was huge and customers were getting angry at the supervisors.

2 Likes

Will be happening everywhere shortly.

Officeworks opens its biggest store in Mentone in Melbourne’s south east today. At 6500 square metres it is also the largest office supplies store in the world.

4 Likes

I’d be keen to go and have a look if I was in Melbourne.

It will also have a Cafe, playground, stock every single product and every variety in the Officeworks catalogue. I work for another store in NSW and was told the print and copy section alone would be bigger then the store I work for :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Mentioned in the AFR article about the new Mentone store is that Officeworks bought Geeks2U in late February and that customers will be able to book a Geeks2U home visit in store.

1 Like

Interesting direction to take, however I always thought they could move way more furniture if they had bigger store footprints as apart from the most popular items, none of it is actually on display.

So with Woolworths Fuel now no longer part of Woolworths are EG group going to rebrand them something else I wonder?

Head office will no longer be out of Bella Vista I’d assume. Like with most takeovers, expect all high level jobs to be replaced with British imports with cost cutting mindsets.