Supermarkets and Retail

Anyone know if Owl (or Night Owl or 24/7 Owl), can’t quite remember the name sorry, still exists? It was essentially a 7/Eleven.

So, there was one in Mornington around 2008, when the old Pizza Hut shut down a year or two earlier (surprised to see the chain still going today - as this was prime spot on the corner of one of the busiest intersections down that way -
Tyabb Rd/Main St x Nepean Hwy).
The old Pizza Hut roof still exists LOL. Meanwhile Cold Rock, a kebab shop, now a doughnut shop where PH was and about 15 other been and gone businesses have come and gone from that whole building.
Maccas (one of the oldest in Victoria) and Red Rooster (also old) still exist. There’s also a Domino’s across the car park.

Bad food heaven :yum:

1 Like

The Mornington takeaway places a bit dire last time I went.

2 Likes

Yep, still going

http://nightowl.com.au/stores/

1 Like

Several new NightOwl locations have popped up in WA, attached to shiny new Shell (interestingly enough unaffiliated to Coles Express) servos.

1 Like

Jennifer Hawkins confirmed today that her 12-year ambassadorial role with Myer would finish after this year’s Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne.

3 Likes

Big news but not a big shock. However she legitimately just re-signed didn’t she? Didn’t realise it was only a year.

Not just her overly long but successful stint, but also good decision given where department stores, particularly Australia’s largest Myer which is struggling, are all declining annually.

Andrew Hornery had the story last week. Elyse Knowles a former contestant on The Block will takeover from Hawkins, on considerably less money.

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1028060983644880902?s=19

I vaguely remember seeing these machines in Woolworths and Food For Less stores around the early 2000s. Anyone know when they got rid of them? I’m surprised such a system (where a packaged item is opened and then subsequently processed all self-service) seemed to work so well without vandalism or theft. I do recall seeing coffee spilt all over the machine and the floor around these machines whenever I saw them, though.

3 Likes

Have we really set up a world where we can’t buy a litre of milk in Tasmania, because of a computer problem in Sydney?

3 Likes

Coles HQ is in Melbourne actually, as I drive past “Darth Vader Castle” almost daily on the Monash Fwy in Toorak.

1 Like

oops. Melbourne. (Thanks)

1 Like

Yep I live right near it. That is the local Coles I shop at. Most of that complex is apartments but one section is the Coles HQ.

1 Like

With help from Google

This is my view:

Pretty sure there’s no accommodation at Coles HQ :thinking: But be my guest and call up to ask.
Although, it is the original Coles Group HQ before overtaken by Wesfarmers in 2007, so I wouldn’t be surprised if many sections/offices aren’t in use.

I think this is what you’re talking about (left hand building - a shopping centre)?:

There is a make-shift ‘set up’ supermarket inside HQ too. There’s also other interior photos if you search on images, including the atrium.

They are all the same style buildings and part of the same development. The right side are the Coles offices and the left buildings above Tooronga Shopping Centreare apartments

Well can you pop in and tell them to fix their computer so we can buy milk in Burnie or Bunbury, or introduce an off-line back up system. (Be careful crossing the road)

1 Like

If you think that’s bad just wait till Walmart buys Coles and our systems are migrated to Colorado or Missouri.

5 Likes

Victoria’s Basement is to sell three of its buildings on leaseback deals to fund a national rollout of the chain.

The store at Castle Hill is great, though it is missing the excellent cafe they have at the Auburn store.

Have any details / structure been announced regarding the Coles demerger later this year? Or will Wesfarmers and the new (or returning so to speak) entity announce this in due course?

Luckily, Coles is already well set-up and really only needs Corporate Affairs and Investor Relations departments added (both of which major admin departments were handled under Wesfarmers in Perth).

We know MD John Durkan is leaving.

1 Like

Coles is extending its Little Shops campaign until September.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/companies/coles-extends-popular-little-shop-campaign/news-story/9259c2fde4008932ef02f86daebb4521

1 Like