Supermarkets and Retail

Google Street View (or Walking View? As no vehicle access) must be a couple of years old at Bayside

3 Likes

I still find it weird when I go to the mainland and see the liquor so close to the supermarkets. In Tassie, they’re very separate. Most bottle shops are either attached to pubs or stand alone buildings nowhere near the supermarkets or the complexes. There’s also limits on their proximity to schools etc… and a bunch of other hoops they have to jump through.

I’ve visited an IGA in Applecross, WA a few times now. It’s interesting how close the liquor section is to the rest of the supermarket. @Squee You must have visited this one in your travels?

google_place_photo

1 Like

That’s not the case so much in the south of the state (at least) any more. They’re not attached a la Liquor Land/ Coles but they’re still within the complex.

I believe this occurred strictly for loss prevention reasons. There are Coles near me which have a similar setup and you will only see the intermediate doors open during the busiest days of the week or in some cases only around the busiest weeks of the year (Christmas).

Yeah I know this IGA, a few of them have a similar setup now (Nedlands comes to mind) and they just put up a portable trellis up around the liquor department at the end of the trading days. Sisters Supa IGA (now closed down or close to closing down) in Joondalup actually built a store within a store for their liquor concept, which was an even more interesting arrangement.

With Aldi getting permission to have a separate department within the supermarket, I assume a lot of IGAs in Perth will have a similar arrangement to sell liquor in the future.

1 Like

NQR has liquor inside the supermarket, a lot of the time they need to get someone else to scan you if have alcohol as they usually have kids working there.

Coles West Footscray has a BWS next door but also has its own liquor section in aisle two, right next to fresh produce.

In NSW you can only sell liquor from one register in a supermarket (like tobacco) which makes it easy for smaller stores like Aldi or IGAs to manage but impractical for a proper full line supermarket (especially with the shift to self-serve checkouts).

At Costco the liquor section is within the main store but has its own register which just handles liquor sales.

Walmart tipped to buy Coles

…speculation has quickly emerged that an acquisitive Walmart could look at buying Coles once it has demerged from Wesfarmers.

2 Likes

Interesting considering the long time unspoken alliance between Woolies and Walmart.

However I suppose you rarely get an opportunity to outright buy a member of a grocery duopoly.

1 Like

Coles North Balwyn ( the original supermarket) had a liquor aisle until a couple of years ago.

Before Oakleigh Franklin’s closed, they had a unmanned liquor department. Both of these utilised signage at the registers to show where liquor could be purchased.

here in Queensland, you need to own a pub which allows you one off-premises vending license. This means woolies and coles have hoovered up any pubs that come onto the market. BWS and Liqourland are distinctly seperate shops with no connections to the supermarket at all other than being placed next to them for the most part.

It also means aldi and costco do not sell alcahol at all

especilly one with huge profit margins in a market that is ripe for growth

I received an e-mail that ABC shop online and centres are closing down. So many closures lately.

oh that takes me back!

1 Like

Not surprised, when they closed the ABC owned stores a few years back it was inevitable that the online component and the centre’s within bookstores would close. The shops were too focused on CDs / DVDs to be viable and the ABC doesn’t have enough programming where other, unrelated pop-culture style merch could keep them chugging along.

1 Like

A proposal at this stage.

1 Like

The way that they’ve got solid dates for the closure of ABC Centres as being 15 Feb 2019, after the online store closes at an earlier date, indicates to me that they want a quick closure ASAP.

I’m fairly surprised that only 16 jobs are involved in the running of the online store.

May indicate just how little return they’re currently getting off the online store.

What are they going to do now with all their Stephen Fry coffee mugs?

1 Like