Supermarkets and Retail

Venture was like a downmarket Target. The opening of more Big W or K Mart stores probably killed those off.

Venture and Harvey Norman replaced Waltons department stores in a lot of shopping centres. In Hurstville, each took one level when Waltons closed. Later, they both closed and Myer replaced them.

the Toys R Us in Frankston is next to Rebel Sport, so who knows what will happen there.

What @JBar said. Think they originated in Adelaide. The history of Australian retail would make a good read, there’s a few bits and pieces floating about online.

I did a google on World 4 Kids and this article came up. A pretty interesting read (it’s Melb focused but I assume most of these stores were national as well):

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/10-melbourne-shops-gone-but-not-forgotten/news-story/e79d6dbd25617015f35d384307b9d4d2

The Canberra Outlet Centre (the former DFO) at Fyshwick is getting a supermarket and liquor store. They are going in near Caffe Cherry Beans in the homemaker section, the side of the centre which has always been a bit dead.

Both closed years ago, Chatswood became the upstairs level of the huge H&M and it appears that Parramatta became a Babies R Us.

1 Like

Which would have shut up shop now.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. For some reason I thought Babies R Us had been spun off from the main company but that’s clearly not the case.

Anyway, I doubt they’ll have trouble filling the space with an H&M, Uniqlo or Cotton:On Mega or similar. Or maybe they will just leave it empty for now given the impending redevelopment of the centre.

Over here in WA, TRU never made it into any shopping centres (though bizarrely enough they had a CBD location through til the late 2000s, no idea what the story behind that one was) - they were all big box locations that no doubt will sit empty for a short while before some other bulky goods retailer takes it.

What are they planning?

Toys r us was still at parramatta in March. Haven’t been to that part of Chatswood for a couple of years. Parramatta already has most of the obvious big tenants.

Edit: actually no H+M yet, so an opportunity there.

2 Likes

An extra level of retail space and a 200m+ office tower at the eastern end of the centre.

1 Like

Fair enough, I had heard that it closed down around the same time as Chatswood but obviously not (and haven’t been in the centre at Parramatta for a loooong time).

They redeveloped the entire top level of Chatswood a few years ago, looks totally different to how you probably remember it.

2 Likes

Hi squee

The one in the city closed around mid 2000s and that site is now ennex complex and a few stores. Not sure if they had gone bust or was sold for development reform the ennex complex.

There was one in Morley right near nab near the markets so those obviously will be turned into something else.

Was there any others toys r us in the suburbs ?

There was one on Albany Hwy in Cannington, down the road from Carousel. No clue whats going to go there.

Joondalup, Cannington and Innaloo were the other locations.

Thanks sqee :+1:I should have remembered the one in Cannington considering I used to live around there ! :joy:

Saw today that a ‘bigger better’ Sanity store is re-opening as part of Belmont Forums upgrade. I would have thought Sanity stores were all done and dusted.

7 Likes

I am thankful that we still have some Sanity stores around.

Good to know that there is an alternative to JB Hi-Fi for CDs and DVD/Blu Rays.

2 Likes

Is Sanity still as ridiculously expensive as it was when I last ventured out of Melbourne? No wonder they haven’t survived in the city when they’re not even remotely price competitive to the likes of JB Hi-Fi

3 Likes