Supermarkets and Retail

There’s a sweet and sour chicken thing which I’ve been surprised at not needing refrigeration too. So simple and the box doesn’t disintegrate when you pour the food into it and it literally is a decent tasting meal in 90 seconds in the microwave. I’m yet to try the other flavours but for the price, they’re pretty damn good.

Yep, should be in the fridge with other salads. That said, my local Woolies sells discounted salads from a trolley by the self serve registers to clear them. This is legal as long as they are not kept out for more than 4 hours.

I’m trying to remember now if it could have been a fridge and I just didn’t notice. The salads were at the far end of the straight section where they put the spring onions, mushrooms, lettuces, etc. I didn’t think anything along there was cooled.

At the woolworths I work at, all of those are in the fridge (spring onions, mushrooms, lettuces and the salads)

4 Likes

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/dick-smith-foods-to-close-amid-pressure-from-aldi/news-story/0f6941467593eefaa4b99b76a03b5a50

Dick Smith Foods will be wound down over the next 12 months.

Mr Smith said the “nail in the coffin” was learning Aldi had been voted the most trusted brand in Australia in a Roy Morgan survey, above the likes of Qantas, Dairy Farmers and Blackmores.

1 Like

Put out your Ozemite.

Oh hang on, no one bought any

7 Likes

Dick Smith: “It’s a decision forced on me because most people just want the cheapest prices, and the cheapest prices will always come from overseas.”

Smith is delusional. The cheapest yeast spread by far is the Lidcombe made MightyMite. His OzEmite was the most expensive, priced above Vegemite, Marmite and Promite. It looks like his similarly expensive nemesis AussieMite will outlast him.

4 Likes

Dick Smith did his best to urge Australians to buy locally owned and made products, it’s just that not enough people followed suit.
It must also be said that Aldi has partnered with a lot of locally owned suppliers for its products.

1 Like

The hypocrisy of this man who made his millions by directly importing goods and undercutting Australian made products is simply astounding.

4 Likes

Say the line, Dick!

2 Likes

The remaining Toys R Us stores around Australia will close this weekend and next weekend. I went to the store at Westfield Doncaster on Monday afternoon and the shelves were mostly empty, apart from some Star Wars toys and no-name remote control cars.

Toys R Us Australia, 1993-2018…

At Least Toyworld’s Still Around.

What is Coles thinking??? It will offer reusable plastic bags for free indefinitely. Green groups say these reusable bags are more environmentally destructive than single use bags.

No doubt Woolworths will copycat, they might as well bring back plastic bags.

Probably taking a big hit in revenue. Woolies will do the same.

I do find the excuse that “customers told us they needed more time to make the transition to reusable bag” a bit odd.

How hard is it to remember to take your own bags? I mean, you usually know if you’re going grocery shopping before you leave home? And it’s been going for a month already. And customers knew this was coming.

4 Likes

Absolutely didn’t they announce this over a year ago?

A bit unfair for the other states who have already transitioned successfully several years ago, why do we still need to pay 15c because those in other states can’t figure it out?

Absolutely ridiculous and down right embarrassing as someone who has zero issue taking my bags or paying for one if I forget.