Supermarkets and Retail

Frank Cozzo has sold his iconic Footscray furniture store for $6 million. The Brunswick store will remain open.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/franco-cozzo-sells-his-iconic-footscray-furniture-store/news-story/75eb32c691655f05fbce75fb9a0cc6bb

8 Likes

Just confirming, Coles/Woolworths will be selling the appropriate ‘green bags’ everywhere? I remember the ones I used to have over a decade ago, when they first became a thing

Theyve sold them in Tassie for what seems like forever, so I would imagine so.

Woolworths give you a free re-usable plastic bag going through the checkout in QLD today.

The biggest problem was that the checkout is all set up to use these re-usable bags. It meant the operator needed to pack cloth bags at the end of the chekout, needing to walk items from the scanner to the end of the aisle - very slow.

Remember them? So why didn’t you keep using them instead of the million plastic ones you wasted?

3 Likes

Chemist Warehouse still happily giving everyone plastic bags. Chemists do generally and genuinely need to give you the products in a bag, but CW should do what others have always done and use paper bags.

4 Likes

Brown paper bags to hide the contents?

2 Likes

I keep a lot of them, haven’t you heard of such a thing? Handy to re use, trust me

Better to only use your heavy duty bags and not use any single use bags.

2 Likes

I still use them, just not 100% all the time

But Mr Cozzo posted a video this afternoon denying the Footscray store would close.
http://www.starweekly.com.au/news/end-of-an-era-for-footscray-as-franco-cozzo-site-sold/

2 Likes

Announced today that all stores are closing.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/toys-r-us-and-babies-r-us-stores-across-australia-set-to-close/news-story/c699848797c088d5f11e59fc862a4da3

4 Likes

Wasn’t he on Optus Sports the other night?

State governments in all but NSW have legislated plastic bag bans effective by end of 2019 at the latest so they were never going to keep it going just in one state. (even if it is the most populous state)

1 Like

Vale Toys R Us.

3 Likes

Trav’s doing his best, y’know

2 Likes

At least 4 still exist in Rockhampton

Trying to put one of the insulated bags I have (which are the reusable bags you really need for the cold stuff, I own about 4-5 of these and have done for a number of years) into position so it won’t fall over before putting the first item in is a pain, then in reality unless you have a trolley full of items and a car to transport them in trying to pack them in a single bag can be a pain. Once the top is zipped up carrying a single bag is fine.

I also think carrying one or two of those bags can look ridiculous to some, as self image seems to be an in thing these days. Sometimes for me it can be averted by carrying my work bag in with the extra bag inside, but lumping that bag for a distance is more annoying than anything.

1 Like

How are people who do a $300 fortnightly shop going to manage this?

1 Like

By taking their reusable bags with them. Probably don’t need any more than a dozen for a shop that size and the plastic ones fold down into nothing and would easily last a year or two if only used fortnightly. Green bags would last even longer.

It will be easier for people who leave the house with the specific intent of going grocery shopping than those of us who pop in to pick up a few things on the way home from work every other day.

2 Likes

I’ve always hated the green bags, I prefer to use bags of other colours. Mine are mostly black and red.