Supermarkets and Retail

Mine is blue. My favourite colour.

Just shop online and get the bags for free!

I received an email which said that charges for those bags will be added to the order.

The standard bags or special ones? I haven’t checked recently since the change but the past couple of years we haven’t been charged for the bags. They’ve been just like the old bags but made of a thicker material. Not the printed Woolies bags.

Yes, you weren’t charged in the past but the email says that because they need to use the new bags for home delivery and pick ups, there will be an additional charge now.

1 Like

Bummer. Was good while it lasted!

Still seems like quite a chore. I don’t do the big shop myself but you see some people with trolleys and trolleys full. Don’t envy them.

2 Likes

It’s happened for years in SA and Tassie. You buy bags initially then take them with you when you go shopping…

1 Like

I agree, I don’t see what the big fuss is.
I’ve been taking my own 99c bags to the supermarket for years too.

How hard is it for people to take the bags to the supermarket with them?

2 Likes

The fact that this requires explanation is insane.

7 Likes

The online policy of charging a mandatory 15c per bag seems bizarre and defeats the purpose of the bag ban because you don’t have the option of reusing the bags. Why can’t they just stick the shopping inside the totes without bags? Ever since I worked at Woolworths Online I found it silly that bags were needed at all.

BP has pulled their $1.8 billion dollar offer to purchase Woolworth’s petrol operations following the ACCC blocking the deal in August 2017.

2 Likes

lol completely missing my point. All good guys. NM.

Article in The Advertiser today about the plastic bag ban thats been in place in SA for 9 years now. https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/woolworths-plastic-bag-ban-has-it-worked-in-sa-and-will-it-work-nationally/news-story/91fc4ddfcdaae63d1c3e0f8fa0b3eb58
I know its behind the paywall, couldn’t work out how to post it without the paywall

A Woolworths Metro supermarket opened in Sydney yesterday, in Pitt Street Mall. This site in Sydney Arcade had previously been leased to Adidas and Forever 21 on three levels. Woolworths Metro is only on the lower ground level.

Sydney Arcade was built on the site of the flagship Coles Variety store, on the corner of Pitt St and King St. Strange place to put a supermarket, considering this block is supposed to be one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in the world.

I find I can squeeze a lot more into either the green bags or reusable plastic than single use bags. So a big shop for me is about 4 or 5 bags rather than 10 or 12. Stronger too so can hold the weight.

4 Likes

This morning at Woolworths I saw a 99c green bag called bag for good, on the bag it says Use this bag again and again. If it gets damaged we’ll replace it for free. So basically Woolworths claims that bag should last you a life time. Most green bags last a few years at best, not forever.

1 Like

I’ve had a few suffer a rip or the handle fall off, due to a heavy load.

1 Like

The plastic bottoms of my bag are usually the first to go.
They are a bit useless without them.

3 Likes

Saw that as well.
Must be a new initiative by Woolies - first time i’ve seen it since single use/plastic bags were banned back in 2009

1 Like