Supermarkets and Retail

Caltex at Gladesville may be (of the) first to re-brand to Ampol, went past and it was closed off with it’s Caltex and Star Mart logos removed.

It could be closing though, but still appears on the Caltex website.

2 Likes

Since Caltex Australia is changing its name (back) to Ampol, they wouldn’t/shouldn’t remove it from their website, but I’d think the website’s branding will change (perhaps first to some sort of co-branding, until a significant number of stations have been rebranded).

Right now ampol.com.au redirects to ampol.com.sg (which says Ampol Singapore was established in 2013).

COVID-19 related discussion now goes here -> COVID-19: Essential Shopping/Retail (Supermarkets, Food, Jigsaws etc)

1 Like

AMPOL is coming back? Could Golden Fleece be next?

(As an aside, there is a beautiful Golden Fleece bowser in the local pie shop here in Bungendore; I’ll take a picture as I’ll be picking up essential supplies from there tomorrow…)

4 Likes

With the petrol prices as low as they are these days they probably could restore full service petrol stations and operate profitably

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: COVID-19: Essential Shopping/Retail (Supermarkets, Food, Jigsaws etc)

I wonder how old this is:

6 Likes

1999?

Still does the job well and looks new other than the old logo.

Probably about 20 years old? I think Woolworths started rolling out general store signage with that typeface around the turn of the millennium anyway…

3 Likes

Sounds about right, those trolley seat belts were introduced plus or minus one year from 1999.

4 Likes

Are people still putting kids in trolleys in the current environment? I came home from a quick supermarket shop yesterday and felt the need to give myself a full on Silkwood style scrub down immediately after.

3 Likes

I keep seeing kids running around the supermarkets with parents, often without shoes and socks. Makes me feel very OCD.

3 Likes

Yep have seen this too and in my local shopping centre have seen them wipe their hands after sneezing on some of the food in the asiles. Staff member caught them doing it and asked the parent to tell the kids to stop doing that. Of course the parent played the race card.

2 Likes

I felt compelled to let you know @jbar that I struck gold this morning at Coles and procured a 9 pack of Kleenex toilet paper.

They only had a few packs left (not surprisingly).

So you will not hear me whinge about toilet paper ever again (hopefully).

I received the third degree by a Coles Shell employee the other day because I didn’t purchase petrol when I went in to buy toilet paper.

When I asked for toilet paper, she replied with “did you at least buy petrol?”. She then rolled her eyes when she headed out to the back to get me some and came out rudely saying “well here you go”.

2 Likes

Did she ask if you wanted a Cherry Ripe or banana with the toilet paper?

2 Likes

She probably thinks you’re one of those toilet paper hoarders :joy:

3 Likes

Coles will make more profit from the poo tickets than if you fill your tank with petrol.

I went to The Glen this morning for some urgently needed grocery shopping, with most stores closed yesterday for Good Friday holiday. There were two long queues for the Asian grocery store and the butcher adjacent to it, no queues at all at the entrances at Coles, Aldi or Woolworths. Once you get into the supermarkets however, you then have to queue for a while at the checkouts.