Supermarkets and Retail

here in Queensland, you need to own a pub which allows you one off-premises vending license. This means woolies and coles have hoovered up any pubs that come onto the market. BWS and Liqourland are distinctly seperate shops with no connections to the supermarket at all other than being placed next to them for the most part.

It also means aldi and costco do not sell alcahol at all

especilly one with huge profit margins in a market that is ripe for growth

I received an e-mail that ABC shop online and centres are closing down. So many closures lately.

oh that takes me back!

1 Like

Not surprised, when they closed the ABC owned stores a few years back it was inevitable that the online component and the centre’s within bookstores would close. The shops were too focused on CDs / DVDs to be viable and the ABC doesn’t have enough programming where other, unrelated pop-culture style merch could keep them chugging along.

1 Like

A proposal at this stage.

1 Like

The way that they’ve got solid dates for the closure of ABC Centres as being 15 Feb 2019, after the online store closes at an earlier date, indicates to me that they want a quick closure ASAP.

I’m fairly surprised that only 16 jobs are involved in the running of the online store.

May indicate just how little return they’re currently getting off the online store.

What are they going to do now with all their Stephen Fry coffee mugs?

1 Like

Anyone know if Owl (or Night Owl or 24/7 Owl), can’t quite remember the name sorry, still exists? It was essentially a 7/Eleven.

So, there was one in Mornington around 2008, when the old Pizza Hut shut down a year or two earlier (surprised to see the chain still going today - as this was prime spot on the corner of one of the busiest intersections down that way -
Tyabb Rd/Main St x Nepean Hwy).
The old Pizza Hut roof still exists LOL. Meanwhile Cold Rock, a kebab shop, now a doughnut shop where PH was and about 15 other been and gone businesses have come and gone from that whole building.
Maccas (one of the oldest in Victoria) and Red Rooster (also old) still exist. There’s also a Domino’s across the car park.

Bad food heaven :yum:

1 Like

The Mornington takeaway places a bit dire last time I went.

2 Likes

Yep, still going

http://nightowl.com.au/stores/

1 Like

Several new NightOwl locations have popped up in WA, attached to shiny new Shell (interestingly enough unaffiliated to Coles Express) servos.

1 Like

Jennifer Hawkins confirmed today that her 12-year ambassadorial role with Myer would finish after this year’s Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne.

3 Likes

Big news but not a big shock. However she legitimately just re-signed didn’t she? Didn’t realise it was only a year.

Not just her overly long but successful stint, but also good decision given where department stores, particularly Australia’s largest Myer which is struggling, are all declining annually.

Andrew Hornery had the story last week. Elyse Knowles a former contestant on The Block will takeover from Hawkins, on considerably less money.

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1028060983644880902?s=19

I vaguely remember seeing these machines in Woolworths and Food For Less stores around the early 2000s. Anyone know when they got rid of them? I’m surprised such a system (where a packaged item is opened and then subsequently processed all self-service) seemed to work so well without vandalism or theft. I do recall seeing coffee spilt all over the machine and the floor around these machines whenever I saw them, though.

3 Likes

Have we really set up a world where we can’t buy a litre of milk in Tasmania, because of a computer problem in Sydney?

3 Likes

Coles HQ is in Melbourne actually, as I drive past “Darth Vader Castle” almost daily on the Monash Fwy in Toorak.

1 Like