Super Radio Network

So in the end we all lose out - this doesn’t seem to be a good nor efficient use of the limited resource that local radio is. But I suppose that’s not a consideration for some - its good to see though that at least people are trying to bring local back.

Welcome Cam

4 Likes

Changing things at the network and not been able to do so was always a bug bare of mine to as it is for a lot of people who work for SRN.

EG. 4AK would work much better as a local Classic Hits stations due to it been the only “FM Network” station on AM, but sadly thats not want Bill wants

YEP thats EXACTLY what is said within the network and very very true

7 Likes

I assume these are decisions being made on a cost basis rather than based on understanding what the market wants?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Good to know a keen radio person has taken over from Covo.

Whilst I understand there is little control over the networked programming (more so the quality of it!) it really is the Achille’s heal. I just can’t listen to 2GF for any length of time after 9am Friday.

I’d kill for a proper classic hits station in the Clarence to listen to when I visit the family.

FM1047 although wide and varied in its playlist isn’t really my thing. I’m not a big fan of most newer music. I do however like the chill out playlist you host on Saturday mornings.

Great to see that you’re sponsoring the footy teams + local shows. Hope that continues for many years to come.

4 Likes

I’m well outside the area so can’t critique the station itself, but a really tiny one from what I can observe - I’d put the local region/city name into the title of the station facebook page - or a simple positioning statement eg “The Clarence Valley’s Own FM1047” - and do something like stick the local shifts into the header banner, so you can really push the content.

3 Likes

You guys are very active on social media and I think you’ve got that balance of local news and conversation just right. With the demise of the DEX as a daily I think you’ve carved a nice niche even with such limited resources.

Please don’t go down the path of other networks that use their pages to share memes or tabloid stories….

4 Likes

Radio what? I’ve never used an app within Australia to stream a station (and rarely overseas either) and probably aren’t going to start now.

But many people do when they want to listen to radio live on their phone or computer.

2 Likes

Radio what? I’ve never used an app within Australia

The super radio network could go on iheart or listnr instead. Not many Australian radio stations use Tunein these days. Although 2sm is on there which I use from time to time. Radio app is good as its got all most ABC/ commercial mainstream stations in one app. You don’t need a separate app for 2GB or smooth fm. Handy if you use carplay or Android auto. Wish it had community radio as well but that will never happen.

1 Like

That’s what I like about Radio App. Pretty much all commercial networks use it. No need to switch between apps to listen to different stations.

3 Likes

As some one that grew up on the Gold Coast and had to cop 4GG. I’ve spent most of my years trying to even that score (never understood why so many like it - drove me insane as a kid). The closest thing we got from Uncle Bill was Radio 97 aka 2MW down in Tweed Heads. Never even remotley on my radar as a young person. It was all Radio 10 from Brissy. Then for me FM 104 also from Brissy. Until we got Gold Coast FM’s in 1989 with a brand new player called Sea FM and 4GG converted over to FM. First month on they broke the WHOLE GC TELEPHONE EXCHANGE SYSTEM. Yep…EVERYTHING! Short version there was - 4GGG got their butts kicked!

The end of 1993 saw ownership of 4GGG fall to the Sea FM camp. After a few ownership changes and different brands and demographic changes later. To me it was sad as we lost a station that was not so ROCK orientated (like Sea FM was - there is other music out there). That set things in motion for the TCBL years for me, that sees things get rolling in March 94. 4GG (come Triple G - come KROQ) finally becomes an early version of Gold FM (but isn’t quite the animal yet, it was to become). With a tip of the hat to Mr Bryce.

What’s this got to do with Uncle Bill? Simple… when he is in a highly compeditive market it’s - who? When in a solo market (like most of his regionals) there is no active fighting between non existent commercial compeditors. The market area gets stail or just gets complacent.

I’ve lived in the NOW FM / 2VM area now for 6 years. There has been no change in this area for over 30 years (it’s kind of sleep walking through life). There is a “weird” ownership thinking process out here too. This is ours and that’s theirs. This “weird mentality” sees 2MAX FM (Community in Narrabri) as “their local guys”. With NOW FM seen as the “Moree station” aka “theirs”. There is zero concept that NOW FM and 2MAX FM are different species. Say horse verses zebra - absolutely zero! Plus them roaming the same land aka License Area.

I was once told Pete, some towns will welcome you with open arms. Others will slam the door in your face. They never slammed the door on me here. But they do walk around sharing a brain. I’m sure Bill would have seen this from his big chair too. Then made network wide decisions accordingly. Don’t forget he weathered Covid the best out of all the networks. Give the guy some credit please.

6 Likes

Agreed. RadioApp is fantastic as is the Community Radio App.

1 Like

How’s John Laws this week? Will we hear him on air today with any comment about his old rival, Bob Rodgers?

1 Like

If so, surely he will cover it and make a respectful comment about Bob’s career.

2 Likes

I believe they buried the hatchet some time ago.
Earlier this year (or late last year), I heard John speaking to Bob on his program and they seemed to be getting on quite well, which was good to hear :slight_smile:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Currently in the Warrumbungles for a couple of nights, had a listen to 2MO 103.3 Coonabarabran for a bit tonight. Runs a stereo pilot but sound appears to be all mono.

Which reminds me, maybe a Q for @hatdj if you are still around, wasn’t 2MO (or 2VM) meant to get an FM relay at Narrabri? It’s a larger town than Coonabarabran and a similar distance away from the AM TXs.

3 Likes

I’m hearing Bill Caralis has died, wonder what will happen to the SRN now, I don’t think his wife or kids have any interest in it?

4 Likes

Confirmed TOH just now on 2SM. Will shake things up for sure.

2 Likes

Yep just saw the post on Jocks Journal