Super Radio Network

That would explain it. I heard 100.9 back again on the Gold Coast today, so presuming things are back to normal now (at the TX site at least, Lismore has a lot of recovering to do sadly).

2 Likes

How are the Newcastle listeners coping knowing their once truly local 2HD breakfast show is still missing their regular cohost Shanna and still broadcasting to a broader network without the heavy local references?

Does anybody feel this arrangement of Richard King across the network at breakfast is here to stay?

It’s Australia’s biggest radio market and Sydney doesn’t even have a local brekkie show on one of its stations.

3 Likes

If they are like me, they have barely noticed, and 2HDs last ratings of 6% in a small market is testimony.

4 Likes

Is this even legal?
While a lot of the Super Radio Network’s content comes out of Newcastle, how much of it is actually local and exclusive to 2HD? 3pm-4pm? 1 Hour a day!
I thought at least 3 hours had to be local content.
531 and 2HC have more local content each day with their afternoon programs.

2 Likes

One of the allowable definitions of local is that it is produced or broadcast from the market, so all network content from Newcastle counts as local content for Newcastle even if it isn’t exclusive.

1 Like

531 and 2HC’s local afternoon programs are generally music based, and would not have much in the way of content that is of local significance.

Not sure if the “local content” requirements apply to Newcastle or not, but it’s a good question/point…. Whilst it’s locally produced, being a networked program, it’s unlikely it would have much content of local significance.

The rules should pertain to being 1. locally produced, 2. locally exclusive ie. not networked and 3. have some content of local significance or relevance, not just solely music.

1 Like

I recall Super Radio tried to claim that the Grant Goldman 2SM breakfast show was “local” for Orange, Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour because it made mentions of issues/news relating to those regions, They were, quite rightly, over ruled on that,

1 Like

I recall around 2008/2009, 2QN and 3NE shared voicetracked afternoon and drive shows. One voicetrack in each hour was unique to each station but the rest were shared. The afternoon show was produced at 2QN, so the unique voicetracks in that show had community noticeboard stuff for 2QN and generic chatter for 3NE. Drive was produced at 3NE so 3NE got the local content and 2QN got the generic chatter.

That minute or so of locally-relevant content was enough for the entire show (afternoon for 2QN, drive for 3NE) to be considered local content. Not that it really mattered as both stations had live and local breakfast shows, locally produced local news, and live and local Saturday mornings, so were exceeding the quota requirements before the afternoon or drive was counted.

To relate this back to the topic at hand, as dodgy as it is, if the networked 2HD host does anything during the show which is unique to 2HD and doesn’t go out to the network (even just a live read commercial or a weather update) then they can probably argue it’s local content by the way the rules have been interpreted previously. It’s not the spirit or intention of the rules by any means, but until the rules are rewritten it’s going to be hard to enforce new interpretations.

3 Likes

I think breakfast was live and local at both 2QN and 3NE, that was all they had to do.

Thankfully, I think all regional Super Radio Network AM and FM stations other than 2EL, 2PM and 2HC are also live and local at breakfast, and some stations are also live and local in some other shifts as well.

3 Likes

I’m not that happy about it, I don’t listen as much as I did, I miss Shanna, she had good input, can’t see why she can’t be on air with this network program instead of working behind the scenes?

When it was a local show it was actually pretty good, confronting local issues & giving plenty of local information & views, probably would’ve rivalled ABC Newcastle Breakfast.
While the FM’s are local, all the commercial stations waffle on with shit (local or otherwise) & their personal lives, much like all commercial FM breakfast shows everywhere.

Also I don’t know why 2HD have the local news read by a local newsreader 2 or 3 minutes before the TOH, then take National Networked news read from 2SM, it’s not like 2HD is supplying the National News for the Network during Breakfast, have the 2HD Newsreader read the local & national news at the TOH, he’s there working, use him to full capacity.

I’d say it’s here to stay until at least mid year, possibly the end of the year?

3 Likes

www.2smsupernetwork.com has gone offline.

3 Likes

Maybe just getting a well overdue makeover?

1 Like

It’s actually been offline for maybe a week (that I know of), I’d totally forgotten about that. At the time I found it offline I though, hmm wonder how people are going to email shows with comments, because most of the presenters don’t give out their direct email address, they tell listeners to go to the website & use the feedback button.

5 Likes

Most of their listeners probably don’t use email anyway :joy:

5 Likes

I think they forgot to pay the hosting fees. Credit card expired

3 Likes

Credit Card?

I was thinking more like the wheelbarrow they’ve got their sack of coins in was broken.

3 Likes

I can’t decide what’s more likely - SRN buying the absolute cheapest reseller hosting and the company went under, or that they are well over paying a random web design outfit who charged them thousands per page for their custom scripts and who are just maximising every last cent of profit, and are taking weeks to get the site back online laughing while they bill hourly for the technical support.

2 Likes

Hilarious and yet another obvious sign regarding the ongoing slide of the Not-So-Super Radio Network. Actually the parked domain web page is an improvement from the shambles that was SRNs fruggly website. The whole joint is increasingly amateur and embarrassing. Please Bill … sell it off to someone who will actually CARE about it.

4 Likes

That doesn’t sound like Bill. More likely to be a uni student at some low hourly rate who’s gone AWOL.

2 Likes

I find it funny that 2smsupernetwork.com.au, is driecting to starterfm, atleast fans of Markus Paul, will find him.

4 Likes