Super Radio Network

Bill & Pam don’t spend money on marketing and promotion.

That’s the sad thing, plenty of great talent within the network but outside the existing audience, no one is told of it.

Their biggest talent, John Laws is not marketed. Huge wasted opportunity.

Does the current bfast show not do that? I guess the surveys would say no.

4 Likes

The 2HC website looks like it hasn’t been updated since last year. There are a few mistakes, though this is the worst.

5 Likes

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I didn’t know that page existed.
I have made a couple of changes and await some artwork etc to fix up the rest ASAP.

5 Likes

Is there a technical reason for there being such a huge difference between the quality of websites across the Super Network?

I’ve noticed some of them are done by a local to the market marketing agency, but picking one of the better ones and using it as a template and rolling out variations to each of the markets would help matters a lot.

The 2HD site is fairly reasonable as is Radio 531, though scrolling down the super network AM stations site makes for interesting reading, 2EL’s website redirects to a Youtube video, and 4GY and 2BH are broken links.

5 Likes

It comes down to a general lack of any centralized marketing effort. Local management of some stations value having a website more than others. Some of those with poor websites could also be down to overworked staff and not enough resources making it a low priority.

Interesting that you mention 4GY - they have a functioning website, just on a different domain name now. Presumably someone lost the login details for the old website.

A number of lower-budget stations (including many not owned by Bill - eg. Resonate) have taken to using Facebook instead of a normal website, so for many people that also removes the need to have a website.

5 Likes

Such a shame. You’re a radio station! Just use contra to have someone make a site and then give them free radio ads. Simple.

I agree, it’d be nice to use a similar template for all station websites especially for those stations that are only local 6-10am weekdays.

I have mentioned this already but I find www.radio531.com.au has a pretty decent looking website. Content-wise I reckon www.2tm.com.au and www.fm929.com.au do the best. Their sites have local news articles, etc.

Another idea would be to be more creative with www.2smsupernetwork.com. Considering a lot of the AM shows refer to it, maybe they could just have that one and redirect any poor looking AM websites.

And I think it’d be a cool idea to use Radio531’s previous domain name www.superradio.net.au as BOG’s corporate website… considering it is called the Super Radio Network (quite clever!).

3 Likes

It really feels like a network of independent stations rather than something more akin to the offerings of their competition.

5 Likes

Yes, the localised callsigns and logos do well to give that impression.

Also helps that they generally have more local programming than SCA, particularly on their FM stations.

1 Like

That includes New FM, which seems to sound more local than Triple M (formerly KO) in Newcastle these days, especially that the latter now takes networked afternoons, judging by a post in the SCA Regional thread. Also, New is local until 5pm on weekdays.

As mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread, New FM, along with 2HD, are the only local commercial radio stations to have local news on weekends.

3 Likes

I must give credit to NewFM where credit is due. Although IMO their music is a shambles, they are killing it with regards to local content. They are practically running two stations at once (like SCA GC used to do until recently) - providing a local feed & a separate network feed from the one location.

2 Likes

I gotta say, I was very impressed with the level of local programming on the Super Network stations when travelling along the North Coast recently. 2RE and Max FM in Taree sounded great. Lots of local content. I enjoyed listening to 104.7 in Grafton during the day - some great music and it was all local! A big thumbs up!

4 Likes

They don’t. A family death caused a schedule change. Afternoons will be back local soon

1 Like

The biggest weakness for some BOG FM regionals is when they have to rely on network FM feeds.

Eg I think ZZZ-FM is CHR during local hours (and probably sounds the best of all BOG FM stations) and then turns back to poor generic radio during overnights & weekends.

If the network would let each station be completely local I’m sure it’d be a much better resourced and better sounding network (not to mention a more desirable place to work - not relying on network commitments).

1 Like

It is a shame that ‘late drive’ was introduced to the network instead of a full local run from 6am - 6pm.

There’s no night show of any compelling content, run the syndicated bfast show highlights later.

Often in summer, FM 104.7 and Max FM (possibly 2RE also?) would run local until 7pm to capitalise on the increased activity within the holiday areas. Is my memory correct @Paul_Covo_Covington?

It was great to hear Triple Z Lismore local until 6pm. 5pm feels like the beginning of a slippery slope.

The dual voice breaks that @thesub1 refers to have been a good use of resources for quite some years now, ensuring local content for Newcastle.

Can you remember as far back when Lismore was the FM hub? Consistent sound night and day.

Much of this is a legacy from stations not having the equipment for such automation years ago. Bill bought the required equipment for 4AK and sent James Yelland there to program off network, locally automated, on its own log. Can’t remember why it ended.

3 Likes

It’s been a couple of years now that FM104.7 has gone to network at 5pm. It started with K&J but too many complaints from listeners pushed that back. Now all network stations take KTM. We have the ability to run 24/7 local with no additional resources required. Grafton is VT from 9am and our system records news feeds and times to the hour for replay or changing over to network at 5pm. I am very proud of the way that the staff have it running. Of course more resources to do it all live would be excellent but what we do is better than the alternative.

7 Likes

What you guys do is brilliant. Totally agree that VT locally is a much much better option than a network feed. Many listeners wouldn’t even realise it’s recorded.

3 Likes

Does FM1047 run a different log when local/VT? Saturday mornings with Cam are always a good listen with plenty of rock mixed in. Well, at least when I was last in Grafton pre-corona.

2 Likes

Listening to PK a few months ago on 104.7 during the day, i could’ve sworn he was live!!! You are certainly using what you have brilliantly. Well done! You’re running a great station Paul!

4 Likes

All of our local hours use a music log unique to 104.7.

4 Likes

On the right, a mic flag you don’t see on TV very often.

5 Likes