Super Radio Network

More so, imagine if 2SM was revitalised and those chanting “2SM” came back to 1269AM to chant it once again.

Now is the time for a revamp with many of those still alive.

1 Like

It certainly was! It stood out like a light house beacon with that 2SM logo all around the harbour & when crossing the harbour bridge. I actually lived just a minute’s walk from the 2SM Blues Pt Rd station for a short while. I’d once called in & proudly purchased a T shirt.
Later during the late 80’s & early 90’s I found myself doing some occasional maintenance work for the 2SM at these studios. By that stage the station was becoming quite run-down from a building interior & equipment perspective. I saw the loss of several staff when Westgo purchased the station, but they injected much needed capital into the station. After that our contract was lost & I never visited the building since.

2SM & 2UW commanded a large number of young listeners in the 70’s & early 80’s & not just in the city, but also in regional NSW at nights when many teens would tune in. 3XY was another broadcaster that gained many listeners at night outside its nominal broadcast area.

These were the days when listeners proudly stuck a sticker of their favourite radio station on their car bumper bar & the days when radio was a big part of our lives.
FM radio was I believe the main reason why 2SM faded from its glory days. My friends were either listening to Triple M or 2DAY FM. And the days of Doug Mulray on Triple M…man he made my mornings. He and his comic team were so funny & the music sounded so good on FM with our boomboxes or walkmans.

6 Likes

This one?

https://www.picuki.com/media/1741944221834800887

Yup. That’s it. Can’t see these ‘seriously’ yielding a $100,000 ebay price tag in future.

1 Like

That’s because it was bottled by a number of seperate companies - coca cola didn’t have a unified presence until the late 80s

3 Likes

Yes I often wonder about those big top 40 stations of the 70s like 2SM, 3XY and 4IP. If only they’d been able to convert to FM in the 80s!

The station that springs to mind is CHUM in Toronto, which was an AM powerhouse in the 70s, got an FM presence in the 80s and is still a force today in that city as a hot AC/CHR station. The AM CHUM station didn’t fare so well of course and went through a few formats - talk, oldies, sport… Familiar story.

4 Likes

WSFM still has one with the kinda cheesy lyrics of “I love you so much I wanna double you…” though it’s a very short one, but it’s still quite a catchy tune and suits their music format well.

And the “song” for Triple M’s “Moonman in the Morning” show, I don’t mind that one either.

3 Likes

Very briefly it gets revitalised, like just then, they played the “Under The Milky Way” (The Church). Released in the same year that 2SM became Lite n Easy, I overlooked that fact and pretended for 4 lovely minutes that it was “Rock Of The 80s 2SM” again.

2 Likes

That song in question is by New Zealand group Supergroove and it’s called You Gotta Know. Triple M’s Coffs Coast breakfast host Michael Moffett (Moffee) has a version of that for his show too.

3 Likes

2BS-FM have now updated their program guide and are now taking Talkin’ Sport 3-7pm weekdays.

But if they’re taking the show 3-7pm (which is incorrect because Talkin’ Sport is 3-6pm weekdays with Sportsday NSW now 6-8pm), that would mean they only get half of Sportsday NSW before cutting into 2GB/9Radio programming.

… I thought 2BS was also taking Brent Bultitude. And they’re not (yet) taking Graeme Gilbert at night …

As you can see, it’s a bit of a mess with the font not matching the remainder of the Program Guide.

Listening online & it clashes a lot with 2BS still trying to get in their own local news in place of Super Network News.

Let the demise begin.

2 Likes

They’ve dumped 2GB Afternoons too - looks like local drive has become local afternoons, which is not a bad outcome with respect to local content

2 Likes

I would’ve done the opposite. Listeners would prefer local drive than local arvos… not to mention having local TALK as opposed to networked SPORT.

I wonder if this was a 2BS or Radio97 decision?

3 Likes

You know it’d be the latter.

2 Likes

I wonder if or when B-Rock will get transferred over to the FM Network’s “Best Music from the '80s to Now” format…

2 Likes

I’m surprised that the on air changes at 2BS and B-Rock haven’t been altered significantly to align with other Super Radio Network stations yet.

Surely it can’t take long.

1 Like

Let’s hope they don’t :wink:

1 Like

If only they’d go the other way, B-Rock’s format would do great on New FM at least.

5 Likes

100% agree.

1 Like

Absolutely, B-Rock’s music would be great across the Super Network - a nice refresh for a stale music library.

3 Likes

There would be a minor outcry in Bathurst if B-Rock were to adopt the New FM log. Bathurst has a strong sense of community, though that didn’t stop 2BS from being gutted.

I reckon B-Rock and New FM should share a unique rock music log as suggested (rock works in both cities). You could possibly add Zoo FM Dubbo as well, to provide a point of difference to (S)hit 93.5. You’d have to choose another station to host the ‘best music’ log though, probably 2ZZZ like it was in the 131009/The Heat era.

8 Likes