Super Radio Network

Why not just rename it

2 Likes

If I had any say in the Super Network line up, I’d do the following:

Midnight to 5:30am: Classic hits overnight
5:30-9am: Alan Jones
9am-Midday: John Laws
Midday-3pm: Brent Bultitude
3pm-6pm: [some other talkback drive show - maybe talk & classic hits - an alternative to 2CH and 2GB Drive shows]
6pm-8pm: Sportsday (live as it now is - but switch the open line to 13 12 69 not the Crocmedia one)
8pm-Midnight: Talk Tonight

Yes - some of the announcers (Brent Bultitude & Graeme Gilbert) are weak, but let’s face it, it is Caralis we are talking about.

Axing Talkin’ Sport would be a smart move. Two different sports shows following each other each weekday is a 100% overkill, I am sure we’d all agree.

It is also good to see 2SM promoting their long weekend of sport with A-League, NRL and AFL being broadcast every day from Thursday to Holiday Monday.

A big difference to the 2SM & Super Network of the last 5 years or so. I am sure they’d be getting at least SOME audience, even if it is from the MSR audience.

2 Likes

Good idea but there needs to be local content for the regionals, that could always be a drive show

1 Like

I like that idea. Why waste Jones’ talent. Have him across the regionals, then have a local drive offering which would challenge the network FM stations (not just BOG, but all network FMs) with a point of difference.

2 Likes

I’m still of the belief that if Alan Jones were to move to 2SM, the possibility of presenter/program changes in other timeslots shouldn’t be entirely ruled out.

People forget that most elements of 2GB were repositioned around the time Alan Jones & Ray Hadley were brought over from 2UE in the Early 2000s. Presenter reshuffles in most other timeslots, branding (changed from “873 2GB” to “2GB 873” with slight logo tweak & new on-air elements, etc.), even the move to Pyrmont is something I think might’ve been done partly because of Jones/Hadley.

The local shows would most likely be on between 3pm and 6pm if Alan Jones were to join 2SM?

You’d have to imagine that Alan Jones would want his breakfast show to be heard across the entire SRN/BOG AM network in compensation for losing Brisbane?

While this sounds like a good idea for places like Sydney & Newcastle, I still think most regional markets would vastly prefer to hear a local show at breakfast rather than drive though.

If they don’t run Jones live across all regionals, maybe they would choose to run a ‘best of’ either 12-3pm or 3-6pm.

1 Like

A “best of” wouldn’t fill 3 hours.

The female drive announcer on Triple Z, Kara had one of those moments, incorrect placement of emphasis on the syllables of Lenny Kravitz’s surname. Before and after the track. Good reminder to check details of any names you’re going to mention before your shift as part of preparing.

Not as bad as “Inks” for INXS, heard that clanger on other stations over the years.

Difficult when they rate so low, not a big audience to begin with to steal.

1 Like

Just did a road trip to Forster and spent some time listening to 107.3 Max fm.

Really enjoyed the playlist of music and offered some great competition to the Newcastle and Port Macquarie fm stations that can also be received on a car radio.

However I noticed Max fm coverage into Forster / Tuncurry was not very good, and very poor as you head out of Forster and onto the Pacific Hwy which is still in it’s coverage area.

Would have Middle Brother covered the licence area better?? Obviously would require serious nulls to the north to protect the Port Macquarie LA. Middle Brothers Triple J make it down to around Bulahdelah quite well so with the right power to the south would cover the LA better.

2 Likes

Did Max107.3 still have 4-5 ad breaks per hour? Yes, they may be short, but they are WAY too frequent.

2 Likes

do they have a traffic coordinator? Are their logs coming from Moree, Newcastle or one of the other network stations and they are simply running their log concurrent because it takes too much time to move things around?

But I agree - a local station should do a stopdown at :25, :40 and :55 maximum and try and fit 11-12 songs in an hour ideally.

I did not take note of the ad breaks, and the music was different from what was playing on New fm. Hot CHR with some 80’s, but I was flicking between Max, Hit 102.3, Hit 106.9, and Triple J.

2 Likes

It’s a wonder how Bill hasn’t yet worked out the money he could save by running the one music log across all FM’s.

Then again, he could also save even more $$$ by having all stations under the one brand.

1 Like

I guess if New Fm was to have the same playlist as Max they would be too close to Hit 106.9. New fm was playing quite a bit of rock, more then Triple M Newcastle when I was driving through Newcastle.

I think an FM repeater for Forster would be a better idea. They already have one for sister station 2RE at Bundacree.

1 Like

Max FM used to run a Hit Music format during local programming and the wider “80s, 90s and now” format when on the network feed, but didn’t they change direction around the same time the new logo launched?

What I know for sure is that since about Late 2016/Early 2017, there’s been something of a revolving door at the Max when it comes to on-air presenters…

1 Like

Max fm playlist includes more hit music then New Fm, at 3pm as part of their workday programming they have guess the year three songs from a certain year.

This morning they played Keeping Score by LDRU, and I Love You I hate you. These two songs were once on high rotation on Nova. I don’t think New Fm would play them.

In regards to translators for Forster / Tuncurry, 100.3 was fine on the car stereo, but not so good on my Pure Move fm / dab+ radio.

In comparison Middle Brother came in very well on both radios, that is why I was suggesting Middle Brother as a better site for Max fm and the 2RE fm conversion.

2 Likes

If Max were to be transmitted from Middle Brother, I think a frequency change might be required.

Because remembering how ABC-FM reception from Middle Brother hasn’t been an overly uncommon occurrence in Sydney during recent Summers, I reckon a Middle Brother-transmitted Max on 107.3FM would have the potential to severely interfere with reception of 2SER down here during the warmer months unless there were serious nulls in the direction of Sydney…

2 Likes

I think you are right. Could they use 93.1for Max fm and 93.9for a 2RE conversion if they were to broadcast from Middle Brother.

In regards to 98.7 ABC Classic Fm from Middle Brother it is semi permanent at my local in NW Sydney with my setup. But this is more for the Am / fm dxing thread.

The Taree Licence area should meet the border of the Newcastle radio licence area at Bulahdelah as the only signals that can be received here are the nationals from Middle Brother. Also the Newcastle Fm stations are quite weak in the northern section of their licence area between Karauh and Bulahdelah.

2 Likes

Except for 93.1 Breeze FM near Bulahdelah, which is not yet on air, but apparently will be in the next year or two.