Super Radio Network

With Grant having now consolidated their music playlists across most of their stations (eg. 2ST, 2EC & 2NM) in recent times, along with SCA having done the same with theirs for the last few years, even during local programming for both networks, it’s now come to the point that the Super Radio Network is now the last remaining regional radio operator to have individual music playlists on its stations during local programming, especially the AM stations that don’t air a large amount of networked programming during the weekday (ie. 12-5pm), as well as on Saturday mornings.

2TM is actually earmarked to convert to FM as part of ACMA’s AM-FM conversion program for solus markets. Other stations on the network that are earmarked to convert to FM as part of the program are: 2LM, 2GF, 2RE, 2AD, 2NZ, 2VM, 2MO, 2PK & 2LF.

4 Likes

If 4AK not getting converted to FM I would think 4AK would be another good start as they are a Hot AC music station. Now that would bring back some of my childhood memory’s. :wink:

1 Like

can anyone buy AM Stereo radios anymore?

3 Likes

4AK will be going AM Stereo also, I’m hearing on the grapevine.

3 Likes

Yes you can still buy AM stereo radios, there’s often some used ones on eBay, pretty sure you can get Japanese versions brand new, some of the Over seas digital radios with chipsets for HD Radio & DRM also do AM Stereo (as that’s an option with the transmitters), because of that, quite a few AM stations in the USA have recently turned AM Stereo back on.

2 Likes

Thans mate, it doesn’t take long for word to spread haha
Yeah it certainly is in AM Stereo, first time it has been in Stereo as-well… I can’t take all the credit it was a team effort between myself, Paul Batchelor (4WK Manager) and Andrew Chapman… BE AM Stereo Board, some test gear and a bit of time and WHAM back in stereo

I wish, but only so much AM Stereo gear still floating around the traps now days, so for now one or two in stereo should be enough to make people happy :slight_smile:

There is still quite a lot of AM Stereo Radios still floating around from the 80/90s… Also some imports particularly from the US where HD radio is used also have the ability to decode C-QUAM due to some chips that decode IBOC also decode C-QUAM…
Myself I own 2x Sony JX-220A… But i am a geek of course :slight_smile:

You heard right so watch this space :wink:

Yeah I believe that is because when IBOC is used it limits the audio bandwidth on the analog component to 5k, so been that most HD Radios do C-QUAM, 10k AM Stereo sounds much better then badly digitally compressed audio… I love the idea of turning C-QUAM back on as when it is setup right, it can almost sounds as good as FM on a decent wide-band receiver

8 Likes

Great news RE AM Stereo. If we can ask them to make 2SM DAB in stereo that would be great too ;).

1 Like

Agree. As AM stereo did sound in Toowoomba into the 90’s via AK and GR.

Sad reality that both commercial licensees neglected to fund ongoing maintenance of AM stereo in Toowoomba. Three out of four commercial stations + local ABC 4QS remain on AM where stereo would help.

Toowoomba is an affluent city with daylight second across Qld and deep into NSW; if there’s a market where more expensive AM stereo receivers are going to be bought, it’s there.

3 Likes

4AK today were playing news bulletins that were 4 weeks old :-/

4 Likes

It would have lessened the pain if they were in AM stereo :grin:

I had the extreme misfortune of suffering through a Super Radio news update this morning on 4GY. What the actual…!

The female reading the news was almost incoherent. Stumbling through nearly every sentence!! Horrible diction, completely mispronouncing words and literally talking gibberish.

Is this normal???

2 Likes

sounds like one of the better ones.

3 Likes

2SM is always the gift that keeps giving, for comedy.

With the league call until ten, Gilbert opened his show with a caller poll on what MP they’d like to see replace Turnbull.

The landslide began, old, croaky voices bellowing consecutively; ‘Tony’, ‘Tony’, ‘Tony’. A few must be lost audience from the ABC where the dreamers are all behind the four time turncoat, Julie Bishop.

With only a short show tonight, Bill must’ve directed James Yelland and the other lever pullers to save on producers, so no producer tonight. After the dizzying lurching between Julie and Tony, Graham decided to wrap up his not so bright idea earlier than he expected.

Onto a promo for 2SM and who should make the promo but the perennial GB actor/caller. This promo centred around her foreseeing the end of cows being milked in Australia.

So much potential for an alternative station in Sydney and a quality choice for the bush, but they blow it with a lack of nous.

4 Likes

Would the cows be sent overseas to be milked!

1 Like

Exactly, not possible and this wasn’t the comedy promo.

1 Like

On this AM stereo in the Super Network topic, what of AM stereo for 2MW? Do their FM translators still relay the AM signal?

1 Like

Nope. Crystal clear FM now on all the FM translators for Radio 97. 103.5 has RDS but 104.1 doesn’t.

3 Likes

Thank god, it was a real laugh to watch the sky light up and hear the AM impulse on FM.

104.1 needs RDS as a top priority. Be great to see it in the RDS list among the pages of choices for car radios on the coast.

And thank you @Mechsta for the speedy contribution!

1 Like

Agreed completely, considering it covers most of the Coast and all their competitors (even the Remote licencees on Mt Tamborine) have RDS, they look a step behind, especially given all the new cars receive it

On your original point, Radio 97 was indeed ‘Stereo 97’ at one point, but who knows how long it hasn’t been for now. I vaguely recall seeing a plaque down at Coolangatta thanking Stereo 97 for their sponsorship for one of the rotundas or barbecues down there

1 Like

I believe the C-QUAM Gear was switched off and removed in the early 2000s

Then there are crazy people like me who want to see it return again haha :slight_smile:

4 Likes