Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Thank you for that hardhitting analysis there

I don’t watch much Sunrise but I always like AOK.

3 Likes

If Peter’s correct, Seven probably will have to find another person to call Saturday night AFL matches - it’s just not feasible in the long-run for Basil to maintain both roles (especially on weekends where the match is in Perth)

Peter Ford clinging to the fact Baz has been filling in and reporting it as a scoop :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Having Basil co-hosting 3 days a week just wouldn’t be feasible in the long run from what I can see. His family and life are all set up in Perth; I personally would hate flying backwards and forwards between Sydney & Perth just about every single weekend, not just weekends during the AFL season. It would have to be someone based in Sydney, this is the only thing that makes logic sense.

2 Likes

If Basil did get the job then I would expect him to relocate to Sydney (I hope it’s not him though).

1 Like

Good god no!! He is Mr Telethon now; he belongs in Perth and should not relocate at all if he is true to his Perth followers. I fear if this does happen Seven Perth may break in its ratings stronghold a little, he is a large part of the reason why Seven in Perth is so successful I think.

1 Like

Yeah forget that national profile, stay in Perth for that once a year local telethon gig which he could still do anyway even if he did get offered to move to Sydney

8 Likes

Well what about his part in Seven News Perth? Who would be presenting sport now? Seven Perth has the most consistent line up of presenters in the country; I didn’t really like it when Jeff Newman left and losing Basil too for a more national profile could be quite damaging I feel…

I don’t want him to get the gig either, just pointing out that the fact that he is Perth-based doesn’t preclude him like you said. People move between cities/countries all the time for new work opportunities.

I’m sure his value to the Perth newsroom is one of the many things that would be weighed up if he were to be considered. If he’s a popular presenter over there then of course Seven are going to look for ways to capitalise and grow his profile (again, personally I really hope it’s not him).

4 Likes

I’m sure they could find somebody. Nobody is irreplaceable especially in television. Seriously 7 News in Perth could have the news read by cabbage patch dolls and it would still top the ratings.

Besides we don’t even know it is Basil they want. This is just a rumour.

3 Likes

While I could be proven wrong in the end, somehow I doubt that Basil Zempilas will become the new Friday-Sunday presenter of Sunrise.

Aside from Basil’s already well documented popularity in Perth, he’s an unknown in the states that don’t support AFL. Ask people on the streets of Sydney if they know Bazil Zempilas and you’ll probably get quite a lot of “Who?” responses!

4 Likes

Baz also has radio commitments on 6PR Newstalk which could prove to be problematic. However he has broadcasted from afilitate stations in the Mcquarrie network when he has been in Sydney a few times. As I have said before, I don’t think he will get it, Martin place already has so much talent there already and there is no need for a surplus. I mean it’s only speculation atm but they should just stick to what they have at that newsroom because it’s only 3 days.

6 Likes

I didn’t realise there was no one else in the city of Perth capable of reading an autocue with words about sport on it.

4 Likes

Matt Doran appears to be at the Sunrise Christmas party today; if that is any indication that he might be about to become a part of the team permanently…

4 Likes

Do you not understand that it’s his profile as to why he should still be there presenting sport, not the ability to read off an autocue!! Heck, even I could do that if they wanted me to :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I also don’t think Basil will be the new Weekend Sunrise co-host, he has too many things to sacrifice for the role.

Just read the news about Andrew O’Keefe.

Big (although not totally unexpected) shock and about bloody time! How can someone spend their career at a network, just doing game shows and weekend breakfast?

He’ll be able to focus solely on his family and The Chase now.

Tbh, I never thought he was 100% ‘in to’ Weekend Sunrise, just an extra gig he did for more money and network pressure. I did used to watch it regularly (for the Riley Diary - do they still do that segment?) and he always looked a bit bored, buttons on shirt undone, tired and like he didn’t really want to be there.

Wonder what this means for his salery now, surely the presser would be correct, in another network role?

Media suggesting he wants a late night show, cue Karl Stefanovic 2.0

He’s divisive, many comments on YouTube and social media overwhelmingly make him out to be a dick head, et al. Whilst he clearly has his fans, judging on the show’s dominant ratings since it began.

As for his replacement, I don’t see how it could possibly be Basil Zempilas, without Seven Perth and his family requiring major changes?

Watch this space…

But whilst I’d liked to have seen AOK break some kind of longevity record, kudos to his work over 12 years, starting way back with pre-Today Lisa :open_mouth:

1 Like

A big, but not totally unexpected, shock? :thinking:

5 Likes

Well, I knew he’d step down at some stage or another (Seven wouldn’t axe him - given the ratings).

Just didn’t think it’d be so soon.

Forgive me if I missed it - effective immediately or does he get this weekend to say goodbye to viewers, I might tune-in?

1 Like

Set your alarm Luke cause this weekend will be Andrew’s last weekend

3 Likes