Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Sunrise won week 29 by an average 4,000 with wins on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Edit: updated tally 16:5.

7 Likes

Mel was there to promote her interview on Sunday Night this weekend not for a catchup with ex-colleagues. l thought she was professional as always and was passionate about explaining the interview.l also didnā€™t see any bitterness or awkwardness in that interview.

7 Likes

I donā€™t see why there would be. Itā€™s not the presenters fault that the news producers made those decisions. The presenters would probably still be good friends.

An Melissa Doyleā€™s career has done better since she left Sunrise. She does more interesting, quality interviews and she gets a lot more viewers watching them.

4 Likes

Sunday Night has been beating 60 Minutes for a long time this year right?

2 Likes

Most of the time but there big thing is she probably has three or four times the viewers of Sunrise.

From Daily Telegraph:

Some though would argue that without her time on Sunrise, Mel would not have the national profile that she currently does.

2 Likes

Sunrise and Today both have much larger audiences than SN or 60 Minutes.

How so?

Probably the fact the show is on 5 days a week for numerous hours and Sunday night is 1 hour once a week mostly?

Well Iā€™d be interested to see if thereā€™s a way they can claim that. From my experience, most people never watch any breakfast telly.

Also there are plenty more people watching during the night (prime time) compared to between 5:30-9 in the morning.

The ratings figures are an average, ie at any given minute between 7-9am there are 300k people watching Sunrise. But not many people sit down and watch a full 2 hoursā€¦if the average viewer watches 30 minutes then that 300k becomes a total audience of 1.2m unique people between 7-9am.

That 1.2m isnā€™t a conclusive figure because we donā€™t know exactly what the average view time is (Seven/Nine would have a pretty good idea though). It also doesnā€™t include viewers tuning in before 7am.

5 Likes

In short, no.

Majority of those eyeballs would be the same eyeballs each day. If you were to calculate total exposure nationally Sunday Night would result in a greater exposure for Doyle than Sunrise.

But youā€™re just guessing. Iā€™m looking for fair dinkum stats not spin or alternative facts. :wink:

I remember reading that approximately 1-2 million people will watch a breakfast show on a given day. The reason why the ratings show only 300k is because people tune in and out continuously (getting up, having breakfast, going to work) at various times of the morning.

Umm, I think a lot of people including me will beg to differ with you there

1 Like

Iā€™m not ā€œjust guessingā€, thatā€™s how breakfast TV ratings work. You canā€™t compare Sunriseā€™s 300k to SNā€™s 800k and claim it shows Mel gets more exposure on SN than she did on Sunrise, especially given that Sunrise was rating through the roof (500k+ at its peak) when she was on the show.

Would you say that Liz Hayes has a more prominent position at Nine than Lisa Wilkinson?

3 Likes

No, Iā€™m talking about how many people see them every week. In my workplace and with most people I know, they donā€™t have time for breakfast television. But most would have watched the Sunday night programs at some stage this year.

Iā€™m just curious about whether thatā€™s typical across the whole of Australia. It would be interesting to know the ratings for unique viewers for both.

2 Likes

Sam is still on holidays this week.

5 Likes