Sunrise

I wonder why Kochie and Nat weren’t at the Logies

They don’t care and seemingly 7 don’t put any/much effort in.

4 Likes

And why would they? There were many years where Kochie and Mel were the hottest property on tv, as was Sunrise, and they never picked up an award… but someone like Karl (last night described as host of the number 3 breakfast program) wins Gold!

2 Likes

I don’t blame them for not being there. Sunrise has been Number 1 for years and reimagined breakfast TV in Australia. They had some of the biggest moments in Aussie TV yet were never recognised with a Logie win. Karl wasn’t even on the most popular TV show in his time slot yet gets nominated and even won Gold.

2 Likes

I understand this frustration but Karl is easily the most, and possibly only, recognizable Aussie presenter internationally. He’s had more viral moments and commanded more attention than any of the breakfast shows despite average viewership. Sunrise deserves their recognition certainly but Karl isn’t a slouch either - love him or hate him.

4 Likes

Like what? I’ve been following Australian tv for more than 40 years and cannot recall one thing that sunrise is memorable for.

3 Likes

What the…? Who recognises him internationally?

Are you basing this on his drunken antics featured on YouTube?

1 Like

That and a number of his other antics. His Dalai Lama bit picked up international attention. When has something like that happened for Kochie?

Married at First Sight has been the number 1 show in Australia for years and it’s never won a Logie for most popular reality show. Ratings doesn’t always equal Logies award.

Sam Armytage :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Cash cow :crazy_face: Pauline Hanson :rofl:

3 Likes

I think you’re overestimating these antics making him internationally recognisable.

3 Likes

Also includes his Uber conversations with Pete Stefanovic which is world-renowned :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He might have had viral hits online but I doubt people would be able to immediately recall Karl Stefanovic by name right away compared to the likes of Hugh Jackman or Kylie Minogue.

Mel & Kochie’s reporting during the Victorian Bushfires in 2009 was incredible television.

Operation Sunrise & Sunrise Operation Bounceback were great television initiatives that united the audience and made an impactful change during disaster.

While on the topic of international headlines with breakfast TV, I can think of nothing bigger than Sunrise being overrun by Bieber fans. That was a hilariously intriguing morning of TV that featured across multiple news organisations across the world. Not to mention the fallout a week after of Bieber V Kochie after Kochie revealed Bieber had told a cameraman to F Off.

While it’s not at all interesting to me, Sunrise also had the first interview with Kim Kardashian after her short marriage. I vividly remember this interview being replayed as the headline story on NBC Today & had Nelson Aspen being interviewed by news organisations in the US due to his work on Sunrise.

While Sunrise isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (and it’s not mine), I really think it’s made a difference to Australian TV and has had some huge moments. It definitely goes unnoticed on Logies night. Yes Logies isn’t just about ratings, but given the impactful change to the Breaky TV landscape it has had, I believe Sunrise should receive a Logie win.

9 Likes

The ongoing daily coverage at Beaconsfield, some major plaza concerts… a few novel things like the ROS Wall, the intern (Edwina Bartholomew), SMS TV… and don’t forget the Reject the Recession dancers.

5 Likes

Sunrise or Kochie aren’t going to win a Logie if Seven don’t nominate them; you can’t win if you’re not on the ballot. Seven could easily have nominated Kochie for a Gold Logie and Sunrise for a popular news or panel program this year.

2 Likes

That’s the process now but it wasn’t back when Sunrise was at its most popular. It was nominated by the public several times, as was Mel and maybe Kochie?

2 Likes

Hi Karl! Sorry mate, Sunrise is better. I know you work hard for Channel 9 but, kid, you’re just not a draw! :wink:

No, seriously, I think the only thing Karl is known for internationally (and ‘known’ really is pushing it) is his stunt of wearing the same suit every day for a year. I hate to say it, but he really is yesterday’s man. At least Kochie has the (somewhat dubious?) honour of featuring at the end of every friendlyjordies video (with his head photoshopped onto a tortoise :sweat_smile:).

I’d suggest Aussie presenters recognised internationally would be those who present Australian reality shows which are broadcast internationally.

So Love Island Australia, Masterchef Australia etc.

And then of course Adam Hills, who hosts the Last Leg in the UK.

Karl is not the most recognisable by a long shot.

2 Likes

Neither of which are news presenters. I’m not saying Karl is some A list celebrity but if you’re making a claim that it’s unconscionable that Karl is more recognizable than Kochie then I’d point you to his viral moments that have picked up international attention as well as a wildly popular YouTube series highlighting his funny moments.

Kochie doesn’t have that whether you think it’s worthy or not.

You did say ‘Aussie presenter’, not ‘Aussie news presenter’.

Technically speaking you’d probably have to say ABC News presenters would have the widest reach internationally.

Tuesday 21 June -

Sally Bowrey is presenting news with Matt Shirvington presenting sport.

6 Likes