Sunrise

I think “junior” is a pretty apt description. If he hadn’t hitched himself to Boland, there’s no way he would have ascended based on his experience.

4 Likes

Hardly the credentials to take over the biggest morning news show in the country.

1 Like

Pell was a producer at 7News, a senior producer at Sunrise and became the founding EP of The Morning Show. He was also the EP of Weekend Sunrise prior to becoming EP of Sunrise.

I think it’s insulting and totally inaccurate to suggest his ascension was due to a brief romantic relationship rather than his talent and capabilities as an executive. The decision to succeed Boland was made by Seven.

7 Likes

I think it’s very naive on your part to not understand nepotism and connections in the TV industry, especially in Australia.

5 Likes

If so, and I’m sure there’s some of that which came into play here, that sort of thing is not mutually exclusive to Pell or the TV industry.

I doubt he would’ve had such a long and celebrated career at Seven if he wasn’t up to the job, irrespective of how he allegedly got his start at the network.

Sometimes it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

2 Likes

I was correcting the inaccurate assertions made by the likes of TVHead. There was also a failure to recognise Pell’s significant experience prior to becoming EP.

1 Like

I don’t think he had much experience for such a senior role, not saying he didn’t live up to it or succeed, just making a point that nepotism played an oversized role in him getting the gig originally.

3 Likes

Sean Power hasn’t been near a tv studio for 2.5 years as he’s been working as a deputy media director for the Level Crossings Removal Project in Victoria. He is however, very smart and was highly regarded at 7 before his departure. He is creative and talented and it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Sunrise reporter Nathan Templeton did MC for the AFL match today between Geelong and Essendon for Geelong.

4 Likes

Will be interesting to see what changes, if any, are made when Sean Power takes over.

I would like to see more opportunity for live debate between guests on the show. What happened to the News Feed segment? Should be brought back. They could do with some new guests on Hot Topics too - I’d like to see people on there who bring strong opinions and don’t shy away from an argument, which makes for great television.

Derryn Hinch, Sharri Markson, Lanai Scarr and Jane Caro are all very impressive, even if you don’t agree with everything they are saying, they are good communicators or bring strong opinions, and are all very accomplished people. I’d love it if they brought back Rita Panahi too (even if most of you don’t agree with what she’s saying, she should get credit for bringing strong opinions and not shying away from a debate).

3 Likes

Hahaha

2 Likes

I like Jane Caro and would like to see her on Gruen again. I haven’t seen her on the show since the first few years of the show. I would like to see Sam Mac’s segments toned down a bit he can be a bit full on for morning TV and he’s segments can be too long.

3 Likes

Jane Caro is awful and overused, very Sydney “intellectual”.

1 Like

It’s a Sydney-centric show

2 Likes

Neither of these impress me. There’s something “immature” about Sharri, I can’t put my finger on it. I disagree about Lani. She doesn’t really have strong opinions (on Sunrise at least) … she just states the obvious.

1 Like

Jane and Lanai I’m here for. Sharri - no thank you at all.

Right. I really wish the media would stop describing him as wunderkind, which means success at a young age, yeah it helps when you grow up rich with a brain surgeon as a father and then “date” your boss.

3 Likes

Surely to be a Vice President you need a President. Surely to be a Senior Vice President you need a Junior Vice President.

The role is nonsense though considering Seven rarely take US content now in the way the networks used too and formats tend to be in house or revivals - and generally speaking most “new” US formats originate in Europe or elsewhere anyway, whilst Seven stick to their own or revivals anyway.

1 Like

Following the recent promotions, The Daily Telegraph is reporting Supervising Producer Monica Lepore has resigned after 20 years with Sunrise. The report asserts that this oversight could be what persuades Kochie to leave at the end of the year.

Lepore was there when Pell replaced Boland so it appears it’s less about the personal promotion and more about an outsider being brought in at the expense of the Sunrise team. It does look like Stinson’s “settling the troops” will be much needed.

6 Likes

Today or Studio 10 will snap her up. Or maybe she’s passed her used by date for TV?