Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

See, here’s the thing. I understand and accept that with the way Australia’s electoral systems are, people in the media like Samantha Armytage are as entitled to a vote as any other eligible voter is.

What I’m not so sure about is whether it’s appropriate for journalists to publicly express their opinions on social media about politics or other contentous issues when their job is to bring us the news in an impartial manner.

3 Likes

Given her family’s pastoral heritage, I’d say Armytage would have enough knowledge on the subject to be able to give an informed, considered opinion on it.

5 Likes

Informed maybe but potentially (definitely) biased.

2 Likes

And in the process she’s alienating viewers. Like me. A long time sunrise viewer.

3 Likes

now i know why today won melbourne yesterday . she needs to be rained in or else sunrise will loose more viewers

1 Like

Yes, Today won in Melbourne yesterday because of a tweet by one of Sunrise’s presenters which was posted today…

no it is because of biased stuff shes been saying that has lost sunrise to today on friday

And yet she chooses not to

6 Likes

And appearing on Mark Latham’s Outsiders didn’t already?

What for… she is entitled to her own opinion whether it’s wrong or right. Maybe she should have expressed it differently but she is obviously passionate about the issue that has affected so many peoples lives.

1 Like

Fair point - I wasn’t a follower of Mark Latham’s Outsiders so I didn’t see Armytage’s appearance on that!

Because it’s embarrassing for her to be spouting such nonsense when she claims to be a journalist. And it’s not like it’s the first time.

Sonia Kruger reporting live from LA this morning ahead of the Oscars tomorrow.

5 Likes

What bollocks. If my father, grandfather and great grandfather were doctors that doesn’t make me an authority on medical issues.

She’s wrong and she hasn’t apologised or issued a correction since people pointed out just how wrong she was, so she’s probably happy to spread misinformation to suit her own conservative political views.

5 Likes

She’s actually been corrected a couple of times including by the Fire Commissioner very early in the debate this season. IIRC that day as he was talking, Sam sat there quietly and didn’t argue. Kochie was doing most of the questioning. But then a day or so later she was back pedalling her personal views rather than fact.

Yes but if she is a journalist she should know better and keep her views away from public platforms. If she is so vocal about her views and opinions then maybe she should go to Sky News.

Plus this kind of stuff and the way she comments will only have negative effects on her reputation.

4 Likes

The producers will be encouraging her. They actually think she is the down-to-earth, in touch one while Kochie is the rich businessman. This is quite ironic given Koch was hired for his daggy and relatable persona.

Nice to see Sonia involved.

3 Likes

Sam was somewhat down to earth and admirable before ascending into Mel’s role. She’s horrible now

3 Likes

All while being an actual credible and trusted journalist and newsreader. Being promoted to Sunrise has ruined that reputation of hers and to some extent the show as well, especially with her holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to big issues such as this and not to mention the Stolen Generation bungle where she just lets Prue MacSween do all the yabbering and whingeing without challenging her views.

6 Likes

Funny, because she’s from a big old wealthy family. Koch is self-made, right?

2 Likes